VMware Cloud Community
guido666
Contributor
Contributor

After boot, I receive "Initialization for vmfs2 failed with -1." and don't get an IP.

The server we're using (SunFire x4600 M2) is on your supported list, and has the processors that are noted.

The error I get when ESX is installed is:

0:00:01:57.163 cpu11:1047)Mod: 1413: Initialization for vmfs2 failed with -1.

This error is on the console “welcome” screen after boot, where it also tells me that I should connect to “http://0.0.0.0” to configure the system.

During boot I see:

Determining IP information for vswif0... failed.

Loading VMkernel module vmfs2 Using /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/vmfs2

Failed to load module 'vmfs2' : Invalid argument

Check system logs for more information.

This happens with either last week's ESX 3.5 Update 1, or this week's new ESX 3.5 Update 2.

The really frustrating part is that I can take the same server, in the same place, with the same cables plugged in, and install ESXi and it will boot and get an IP address and I can connect to it. With ESX, I get no IP address, and that error.

I am using DHCP, but I have to, assigning a static IP at this point is NOT an option.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
guido666
Contributor
Contributor

Some screenshots...

!esxerror1.jpg!

0 Kudos
guido666
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, this forum system is really buggy and terrible...

It's making me post these pictures one at a time, so I'm not multi-posting on purpose. Oh look, it crashed the browser again...

0 Kudos
guido666
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
guido666
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
guido666
Contributor
Contributor

And just so I'm 100% clear, here is a picture of ESXi, 5 min later, after ZERO configuration, rocking out like a champion.

0 Kudos
guido666
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
guido666
Contributor
Contributor

/bump

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The problem is that VMware releaseda bad image that time expired on August 12th 2008 which is the build number that you haveinstalled. Do you have embedded or installable ( install on a hard drive )?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMFS2 initialization is failing because your console OS is not getting an IP address for VSWIF0. VMFS2 requires a valid IP for dynamic locking.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

that is a different issue, but you are right as well.

0 Kudos
kri-2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

any news here? We have the same problem on DL585-G5 installing from kickstart file using static ip configuration and Update1 (just downloading Update2).

Chris

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

create an /etc/hosts file for the static ip and reboot - that should clear it if you still have the issue. Otherwise, it may be ignored - unless you're accessing legacy storage, the VMFS2 driver is unimportant, and may even be removed or disabled.

0 Kudos