VMware Cloud Community
Gray_VCP
Contributor
Contributor

Admission check failure for memory resource

Hi

VMware ESX Server 3.0.1 build 32039 / VI Client 2.0.1

I have a Dell server with 512Mb of RAM. The Service Console is configured with 272Mb RAm and the System itself with 54Mb. I realise this is a little light of the recommended minimum for ESX but it's only a test system. The server is "standalone" with no HA, DRS or clusters of any kind. I am not using VCentre.

I built a Win2003 Svr VM with 256MB of RAM on the server which powered up quite happily. I later performed a "Delete from Disk" on the VM because I wanted to rebuild it.

I created a new Win2003 SVR VM with the same memory allocation but when I attempted to power it up I got the failure message "Could not power on : Admission check failed for memory resource"

I've set and re-set the VMs memory to various settings but I always get the same failure. I thought that ESX may not be able to create a swap file for the VM because the VMs directory volume was low on space. I've since re-set the swap file directory using the VMs Advanced Properties to a volume with at least 1GB of space.

Has anyone got any idea how I might diagnose the problem please?

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Gray_VCP
Contributor
Contributor

Any ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
Gray_VCP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

C'mon you clever people out there, I still have this issue... in fact, I've got Priv Msgs from other people with the same difficulty so you can kill 2 birds with one stone n' all that... :smileymischief:

Any help appreciated....

0 Kudos
kevintmckay
Contributor
Contributor

did you create any new clones or template systems?

0 Kudos
Gray_VCP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kevin

Thanks for looking at this for me.

No, in fact, the VM I'm attempting to power on is the only machine on the system. There are no clones or templates.

0 Kudos
calebshay
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get this resolved? I just ran into the same issue on 3.5 and can't find a thing on it.

0 Kudos
gfyfe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Right click your resource pool, choose edit settings.

Under memory reservations, reduce or remove the ther reservation.

If there is a reervation set here, it applies to all vm's in the group which may exceed the available RAM.

G

0 Kudos
fbacchin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Does anyone ever get this resolved?

Thkz

0 Kudos
junhua
Contributor
Contributor

I encountered similar problems, after I beefed in more RAMs, it's solved.

0 Kudos
KhanStPreest
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings, I stumbled across this thread while searching for an answer to my own similar problem. I suppose I may also just need to add more memory but I'd be surprised since my VMs are so small.

I recently install ESX 3.5i, udpated 2, build 110271 on a spare Compaq Proliant DL380 3.0 GHz w/1GB of RAM to begin to familiarize myself with ESX. (I've used VMware server for quite awhile before this). I realize 1GB is not a lot of RAM by current standards but the VMs I'm trying to run concurrently are so small (configured for just 64MB each) that I'd be really surprised if that was the problem since my understanding is that one of ESX's bragging points is it's smaller footprint. Anyway, I can start either VM singularly but I get "Admission check failure for memory resource"if I try to run them concurrently. I've increased either VM's config to as much as 512 MB and each individual VM still starts, so I'm surprised that the system complains about memory when the normal config of both VMs amounts to a mere 128MB. I realize there's some overhead but 1GB of RAM can't run two litle 64MB VMs? I've tried reducing either VM to as little as 32MB and I still get the error. With one 64MB VM running my physical host summary shows only 422MB of 1021MB in use adding to the puzzle of why my 2nd machine won't start. I'm new to ESX so perhaps there is a basic resource management paradigm that I'm missing?

Thanks for any insight, Khan

0 Kudos
ken2525
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same problem, but was able to run it once I switched from 2 cpu's down to 1.

0 Kudos
jmajor1111
Contributor
Contributor

its not the best way to do it but I know the problem well with some of my clients that "repurposed" a couple Dells for ESX. Oh, and sorry for such a late reply, I happened across this on accident and felt the need to give the solution for others.

I'll assume you know ESX well enough so here we go:

on the configuration tab, choose the "System Resource Allocation" link

Switch from "Simple" view to "Advanced"

scroll down the tree there under host and find "VIM", select and then click the "edit settings" link

Under Memory resources you'll need to se the reservation limit to something lower. I think 512 is default, I set min to 128 with expandable turned on and the limit set as 512.

hope it helps.

0 Kudos
Dymmon
Contributor
Contributor

to :

Thanks for solution that you've described above. It really helped me!

0 Kudos
linuxnt12
Contributor
Contributor

Hello jmajorand every one!

Thanks a lot for this help.

History:

I got stuck with this problem on an old server (2x550 Mhz / 1

Gb). It really annoyed me, because I expected trouble with the SCSI

disks or some other esxi installation issues and got none!

Happy

as ever I started a VM and installed a linux firewall (192 Mb - one

processor) - expecting trouble with drivers for NIC's and stuff ..

none! - it worked "out of the box"

Now I'm exited - started out

a second VM with a client (TINY-XP in 256 Mb - One processor)and -

bang! Now I get this wierd error. I mean, I didnt do ANY special config

in the esxi, only default.

REMAINING THOUGHTS:

So why does this happen? Is it because VMware expect you to have much more resources in your host ?

• Again I was saved by a community - thank you every one providing with

knowledge and may the good powers of the universe be with you! -

sincerely!!

Now its play time !!

0 Kudos