VMware Cloud Community
moustique
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding host into EVC enabled cluster?

Hi there,

I have an ESX 3.5 host running on HP DL380 G5 server with two Intel Xeon 5150 CPUs. Today I powered off all VMs on this host and tried to add the host into an EVC enabled cluster, but it says that the hardware of this host is not compatible with EVC. But in this KB: , it shows that Inter 5150 CPU is supported by EVC, why did it still say it's not compatible? Smiley Sad

Thanks,

Steven

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
smudger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Steven,

For your DL380, do you have the following enbaled in the server BIOS: - They can be found under "Processor Options"

Intel Virtualisation = ON

nX (eXecute Disabled) = ON

Both of the above need to be ON for the host to compatible with EVC functionality.

HTH

Regards,

Neil

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
smudger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Steven,

For your DL380, do you have the following enbaled in the server BIOS: - They can be found under "Processor Options"

Intel Virtualisation = ON

nX (eXecute Disabled) = ON

Both of the above need to be ON for the host to compatible with EVC functionality.

HTH

Regards,

Neil

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Is VT and "No Execute Memory Protection" enabled in the BIOS of this system?

Lars

Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Even after setting these BIOS items, sometimes it just won't do it. A way to get it working for sure, is by creating a new cluster, enable EVC on it, then migrate your hosts one by one to the new cluster. Not easily done, but at least it works for the supported but "unwilling" combinations of CPUs.

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
moustique
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Neil,

You're right, the option "nX (eXecute Disabled)" was off in the BIOS, I was able to add my host into EVC cluster after enabling this option, thanks a lot for your help! Smiley Happy

Steven

0 Kudos