VMware Cloud Community
hdstekserv
Contributor
Contributor

Adding datastore from free space

We have a server with a RAID1 for ESX and RAID5 for VMs. We can not seem to create properly aligned partitions on the RAID5 for our datastores. We want a datastore for templates and then one for virtual images. We create the VMFS partitions from the console, but VCenter doesn't allow us to select the indifidual partition (see add_ds_screenshots). If we use VCenter and blow away the disk and try to create our partitions through it, it only allows us to create 1. We never see an option to use just the free space. What are we missing?

Thank you very much!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
_David
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try formatting the partitions with vmkfstools

vmkfstools -C vmfs3 /vmfs/device/disks/vmhba0:0:0:#" Were # is the number of the new partition.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

The VMFS volumes are there but the ESX server is not recognizing that. Can you try these options.

1. Enable LVM Resignaturing on the first ESX Server host (set LVM.EnableResignature to 1):

1. Log on to the ESX Server host with VI Client.

2. Click the Configuration tab.

3. Select the Advanced setting option.

4. Choose the LVM section.

5. Set the value of LVM.EnableResignaturing to 1.

6. Save the change.

7. Click the storage adapter.

8. Click Rescan Adapter.

9. Leave the default option and proceed.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you tried setting EnableResignature=1 in advanced settings?

0 Kudos
rstierna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What did the screen look like at the device location. Was it 1.36TB and the only option? I am thinking that you shouldn't have made any changes an the Console and left it as free space. Then when you add it from Virtual center you may have more options to adjust the data store size. However, the situation may be that virtual center reads the disk at the Volume level so the only option is to add as one datastore. My experience with storage has always been in a SAN environment. When i present a new lun i do not have an option to only use a portion of the space.

Try going to storage adapters and rescan the local SCSI adaptor for the storage you are having trouble with. Do you see one LUN at 1.36 or the two partitions? After this try going back to storage and refresh. The data stores may just show up if they are already formatted. At this point you could also try adding storage again to see if you have any addition options. Good Luck!

if you found any of this information useful please consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points.

If you found this or any other answer helpful please consider the use of helpful or correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
hdstekserv
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, thanks to all of your for your contirbution. I have tried them all with no luck unfortunately.

_David - I think I have the command wrong. I edited what you had given to reflect the location of what should be the new partition (vmkfstools -C vmfs3 /dev/cciss/c0d1p2/vmhba0:1:0:2) and it spit back an invalid handle.

The reason for all of this is that we have just been through training and were told that the disks in the datastore should be aligned and that they are not aligned as part of the ESX install. Now in doing some research, we have seen some things that just same data partitions in VMs should be aligned and that it isn't critical for system disks and really haven't seen anything specific about the datastores. Are we spinning our wheels for nothing. Should I just let the install of ESX create the partitions for the data store and be done with it?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
hdstekserv
Contributor
Contributor

Rstierna - you may be right. I just got an email from our trainer who referenced that what we are seeing is one of the "quirks" of using local storage although he didn't come out and say if it is a problem, a bug, any workarounds, etc.

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 08:33:37 -0800

To: hds_tek_serv@hotmail.com

Subject: New message: "Adding datastore from free space"

A new message was posted in the thread "Adding datastore from free space":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1172213#1172213

Author : rstierna

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/rstierna

0 Kudos
hdstekserv
Contributor
Contributor

We worked with a tech from VMWare. The issue we are having is becuase of the local storage. Once we have a partition created (be it through Infrastructure client or through the ESX install), ESX doesn't look through the rest of the LUN for free space locally. What you need to do is use the console and then FDISK to create a new partition and then use "vmkfstools" command to format it correctly. Once we did that, we could see it in VCenter.

Thanks again to all who responded! David was the closest so I noted that he was helpful.

0 Kudos
hdstekserv
Contributor
Contributor

_David - was working with a tech from vmware and got it figured out. should be:

vmkfstools -C vmfs3 -b 8m -S templates vmhba0:1:0:2

8m is for the block size since we have 1.3 TB we can then have large machines

and -S templates is just the name we used.

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 08:19:44 -0800

To: hds_tek_serv@hotmail.com

Subject: New message: "Adding datastore from free space"

A new message was posted in the thread "Adding datastore from free space":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1172200#1172200

Author : _David

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/_David

0 Kudos