VMware Cloud Community
wardog25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding a secondary NIC to another network in a VM

We have a couple ESX 3.5 servers that were set up by someone else. All virtuals on them connect to our primary trusted network.

Well now I have a VM that needs to connect to our SAN. To do that with a physical box, I would just connect a second NIC to the switch that goes to our SAN (that switch is not connected to our trusted network, it is an entirely different IP range), but obviously I cannot do that with a VM.

The ESX servers already have a connection to that switch, because the SAN is where they store the all the VMWare images. But I have no idea where to begin setting this up to allow the VMs themselves to have a secondary NIC to go to the SAN switch.

How would I go about that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Go to your vSwitch configuration, add a virtual machine port group (give it a name like "iScsi VM portgroup").

Then add a new network card to your VM and attach it to the new port group.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What are you trying to do, setup NFS for the VM's?

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If your ESXs already have a connection to this network, then you should have a vSwith attached to the physical ports on that IP SAN.

So you just have to create a Portgroup for your VM on that vSwitch. Then add a vNic to your VM and attach this card to the vSwitch.

Regards

Franck

wardog25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iSCSI.

I just want to be able to add a SAN disk drive to a VM. For that I need one NIC to connect to our trusted network, and the second NIC to go to the SAN switch so that I can map it to the disk drive with iSCSI.

0 Kudos
wardog25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Franck, thanks for the answer. I'm fairly new to VMWare, can you tell me where I would go to do those tasks?

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There must be a reason why your SAN been isolated and using different network (security policy or performance reason). I won't directly connect VM to SAN storage or comprise with what already been configured. Since your SAN using iscsi protocol and already have connection with your ESX, why don't go for RDM instead? This option do not require you to setup another vSwitch or port group. Just present new LUN to all ESX hosts, edit VM, add RDM disk and use new LUN and you suppose can use it like normal disk.

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Go to your vSwitch configuration, add a virtual machine port group (give it a name like "iScsi VM portgroup").

Then add a new network card to your VM and attach it to the new port group.

0 Kudos
wardog25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is that something you do on the ESX host or in VMware Infrastructure Client, or what?

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's easier to do it with the VI Client, Network configuration of your ESX.

0 Kudos
wardog25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that worked!

0 Kudos