VMware Cloud Community
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding a NetGear ReadyNAS as an NFS Storage

Hi guys,

I recently rebuilt my test ESX 3.5 box. Of course, I didnt write down how I added the ReadyNAS file share as an NFS before so now my brain just wont attempt to remember. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with adding the ReadyNAS share? I have a share called Applications so I can mount ISOs. I use the the readynas to store all bunch of IT junk through windows but would love to re-enable the NFS link into ESX 3.5.

1. I have enabled NFS client at the Security Profile section.

2. I have created a VMKernel/NFS port.

3a. I tried to Add Storage by using the IP Address http://192.168.0.15, Folder , Mount NFS read only , and Datastore Name .

OR

3b. I tried to Add Storage by using the IP Address http://192.168.0.15, Folder , Mount NFS read only , and Datastore Name .

I get the following error:

Error during the configuration of the host: NFS Error: Unable to Mount filesystem: The mount request was denied by the NFS server. Check that the export exists and that the client is permitted to mount it

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solfoit1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Draconis,

I have also a Netgear Readynas connected to my vmware ESX server via NFS.

If you issue the command "showmount -e <ip adres of readynas>" is the mountpoint listed?

On the nfs share properties i have select the default access to "Read\Write" and ik have selected the option "root priveliged host" and entered the ip adres of the vmkernel.

Have you connected the Readynas to a UPS device?

With kind regards,

Ruud

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like you do not have permissions set correctly on the ReadyNAS - your ESX server needs root level access to the folder that is being shared - you will need to make sure that the permissions are set by setting the no_root_squash parameter for the folder - also ESX/ESXi only support NFS Version 3 over TCP

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Solfoit1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Draconis,

I have also a Netgear Readynas connected to my vmware ESX server via NFS.

If you issue the command "showmount -e <ip adres of readynas>" is the mountpoint listed?

On the nfs share properties i have select the default access to "Read\Write" and ik have selected the option "root priveliged host" and entered the ip adres of the vmkernel.

Have you connected the Readynas to a UPS device?

With kind regards,

Ruud

0 Kudos
JasonWong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

On my NAS, when using NFS, I need to "allow" the IP address of the client . I believe if you don't do this, you will get the client not allowed message.

Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Weinstein,

How do I configure the no_root_squash? I've been out of the ESX stuff for months and I think my brain has atrophied. It was working before so the permissionings should be fine on the NAS side. Its just the VMWare part that has me confused. Is there a file that I should be modifying?

Hi Guys,

The ReadyNAS permissioning for the Applications share for NFS is default read-only which is what I want to happen. I do not want write capabilities for that share so I restricted NFS write access to it. I dont believe I needed Root priviledge-enabled hosts before.

Default Access: Read-only

Share Access Restrictions

Read-only hosts: (greyed out)

Write-enabled hosts: (unchecked and null)

Root privilege-enabled hosts: (unchecked and null)

Advanced Share Permission section says:

Share folder owner: Applications

Share folder group: nogroup

Share folder owner rights: (greyed out) Read/Write

Share folder group rights: Read/Write

Share folder everyone rights: Read/Write

Set ownership and permission... (unchecked)

Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files. (checked)

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I forgot to add...

After entering the following on the console showmount -e 192.168.0.15, I received the following results:

Export list for 192.168.0.15:

/c/backup *

/c/Applications *

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The no_root_squash is a parameter set at your NAS/NFS it will give the ESX host root access to NFS Share

-

Original message -

>Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:30:20 -0800

>From: Draconis <communities-emailer@vmware.com>

>Subject: New message: "Adding a NetGear ReadyNAS as an NFS Storage"

>To: David Weinstein <weinstein5@rcn.com>

>David Weinstein,

>A new message was posted in the thread "Adding a NetGear ReadyNAS as an NFS Storage":

>http://communities.vmware.com/message/1099343#1099343

>Author : Draconis

>Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/Draconis

>Message:

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Awesomeness guys.

I fixed the issue with your help of course. Smiley Wink

1. I modified the Share Access Restrictions on the ReadyNAS to allow 192.168.0.6 (VMKernel port IP address) on the Root privilege-enabled hosts.

2. With the help of showmount, as I understand it, I was able to choose what shares would be available to be mounted through NFS.

3. I configured my ESX server under the Storage Configurations by adding 192.168.0.15 as an NFS store with /c/Applications as the folder.

Thanks alot guys.

0 Kudos