VMware Cloud Community
danielweis
Contributor
Contributor

Adding Extent - Local SCSI Volume

Hi guys,

we currently have an ESX server with 2 local volumes , storage 1 of about 30GB and Storage2 a raid 5 array with around 300GB, all are local SCSI disks (Vmfs).

We need to add an additional disk to disk2's Raid volume,and use the 'Add Extent' option. It picks up the new additional space, but once I click next it comes up with a warning:

'Warning: The current disk layout will be destroyed. All file systems & data will be lost permanently.' Now, the problem is we have 6 primary servers running on this volume, and I don't want to risk anything happening to them!

Can someone please confirm for me that if I choose to add extent that nothing will happen to our existing production servers?

I have seen lots of other VMTN posts regarding the same and SAN's but need confirmation of local storage..

Many thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The use of extents is unsupported and is largely discouraged.

I would avoid them, make a backup of your 6 VM's and reformat it and make it one big Volume.

You could have problems later if you don't do it the correct way now.

0 Kudos
danielweis
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply RP

My personal opinion is to backup everything blow it away and arrange a SAN but due to budget constraints thats a no go...

We need backup space asap due to backup failures (Because of lack of disk space)

Message was edited by:

danielweis

0 Kudos