VMware Cloud Community
N_Cartwright
Contributor
Contributor

Adding 2.5 TB DAS to ESX 3.5

Greetings - I'm new to ESX and I have a 2.5TB DAS that i'd like to add to VMWare - however - when I go to add storage it says Total Size is 2.45 and then available is only 463GB - The size of a single drive. Thoughts??

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Hairyman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware only supports 2TB Luns, try setting you LUN size just under this and create multiple LUNS

0 Kudos
N_Cartwright
Contributor
Contributor

Thats what we thought - However - did i mention i'm very new at this :).

We have a MD1000 with the physical disks on a Dell 2950 - Open manage calls them Virtual Disks...i'm guessing LUN=Virtual Disk?

So if I create a 2TB Virtual DIsk (LUN) and a .5TB Virtual Disk (LUN) can I span a 2.5TB volume across the two? If so how ?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

No, the maximum size of a VMFS is 2.0TB

Besides, you dont want a volume that size, you will end up with lock contention issues. Better would be 5 500GB LUNs (in this case, yes, Virtual Disk = LUN).

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
N_Cartwright
Contributor
Contributor

Fantastic - You guys rock for the quick response.

Let me add that our intent is to have a total datastore size of 2.5TB. If I'm reading you correctly it would be better to create 500GB LUNs - would I then add and extent to that datastore to get the total 2.5TB?

Also what are the advantages of having smaller LUNs?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

No, you probably want 5 datastores of 500GB each. Unless you plan to have just a couple LARGE VMs, you will end up with lock contention issues from having too many VMs per datastore.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the VI: ESX 3.5 forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Althought Extents are supported, it is not considered best practice to use them. as Mcowger says keep your LUNs lean and mean. you will reduce the risks of contention.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos