VMware Cloud Community
Dimitar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AX150i and ESX Server

Hi,

I have Dell 1955 blade server and SAN AX150i

Installed ESX 3 on both blades and configure Switches 1,2 to internal network and switches 3,4 to connect to SAN.

I Configured Virtual center 2 on separate system.

I connected to VC and registered both Servers

Now I will like to configure the Vmotion, and HA.

When I configure iSCSI on both blades using Switch 3.4 I can see the Volumes on SAN and I can register connection from ESX server 1 trough Navisphere Express and I can install VM on SAN, but not sure how do share this Volume in order to make Vmotion work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To share the storage between the servers, you'll need to configure the AX150i such that both servers see the same LUN(s) with the same LUN ID. Since you're already formated the LUN on the first host, once you've added the LUN to the second host, you only need to go to Configuration \ Storage Adapters, select the iSCSI hba and the click on Rescan. Choose to rescan for both new storage devices and VMFS volumes. If the LUN is setup correctly, the 2nd host should then see the VMFS data store that you created.

Once you have the storage being seen by both hosts, you can enabled vmotion. You'll either have to create a VMkernel port group or modify an existing one. You'll edit the VMkernel port and enable the vmotion option. The servers will need to have unique vmkernel vmotion IP addresses and you can put this vmkernel port on the virtual switch 3,4. Once you have that done you should be ready to try to vmotion a VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To share the storage between the servers, you'll need to configure the AX150i such that both servers see the same LUN(s) with the same LUN ID. Since you're already formated the LUN on the first host, once you've added the LUN to the second host, you only need to go to Configuration \ Storage Adapters, select the iSCSI hba and the click on Rescan. Choose to rescan for both new storage devices and VMFS volumes. If the LUN is setup correctly, the 2nd host should then see the VMFS data store that you created.

Once you have the storage being seen by both hosts, you can enabled vmotion. You'll either have to create a VMkernel port group or modify an existing one. You'll edit the VMkernel port and enable the vmotion option. The servers will need to have unique vmkernel vmotion IP addresses and you can put this vmkernel port on the virtual switch 3,4. Once you have that done you should be ready to try to vmotion a VM.

0 Kudos
Dimitar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, it works !

It takes some time for newbie like me to understand the concept of all this setup, but now after a few installations all works.

BTW, I used the same name for iSCSI initiator (iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:ESX1-6041f4e2) from blade 1 and blade 2 in order to see the SAN. I registered with the first Server and the second automatically see the storage. Not sure if this is the right way, but it works....

Going to try VMware HA tomorrow.

Thank you.

0 Kudos