VMware Cloud Community
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

APC Network Shutdown for ESX 3.x - General Question

Hi.

This is no "howto shutdown my esx host" question.

Does anybody know, if the PCNS is supported by vmware?

I´m looking for a solution to use a network shutdown without violating the vmware support restrictions.

Thanks for any information.

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
0 Kudos
30 Replies
kucharski
Commander
Commander

Here is a File regarding APC Network Shutdown from the VMGURU.COM site:

http://www.vmguru.com/files/10/whitepapers/entry8.aspx

Michael

0 Kudos
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Michael,

I know how to use it.

I´ve tested that in a few test environment.

My question was, if this it supported by vmware in any support case!

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
0 Kudos
Azrial
Contributor
Contributor

APC have now released a version of PowerChute specifically designed to be installed on ESX.

So there is no need to go through the process of that document any longer.

0 Kudos
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thank you.

Can you send me a link to that software?

How is it called?

0 Kudos
doomdevice
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

http://www.apcc.com/tools/download/software_comp.cfm?sw_sku=SFPCNS221&id=127&family=&part_num=&swfam...

Here can you find the APC PowerChute Software for VMware ESX 2 and 3.

VI PowerScripter [http://www.powerscripter.net] Every Click can be a customized function within VI client
0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Seeing as the documentation on this isn't all that extensive (especially for a non-linux user) I'm providing the steps to make it all work ... well it does for me and that's all that matters ;o)

All these commands are performed at the command line on the console or by using a SSH client (using SSH client allows some nice copy and paste action).

Firstly open the firewall ports

esxcfg-firewall -o 80,tcp,out,"APC PowerChute Port 80"

esxcfg-firewall -o 3052,tcp,out,"APC PowerChute Port 3052"

esxcfg-firewall -o 3052,tcp,in,"APC PowerChute Port 3052"

esxcfg-firewall -o 3052,udp,out,"APC PowerChute Port 3052"

esxcfg-firewall -o 3052,udp,in,"APC PowerChute Port 3052"[/b]

Then install the APC Network Shutdown Software

rpm -ihv pcns-2.2.1-100.i386.rpm[/b]

Then configure the software

/usr/local/bin/PowerChute/PCNSConfig.sh

Type 3 and press enter

Type in the IP address of the Management Card and press enter

Port 80

Enter the Username, Password and Authentication Phrase

Repeat for the second management card

Answer No to registering another management card

Answer Yes to starting the service[/b]

Now you can configure the event actions etc by pointing your web browser to http://[i]servername[/i]:3052/[/b]

Other commands

/etc/rc.d/init.d/PowerChute stop

/etc/rc.d/init.d/PowerChute start

To uninstall, type rpm -e pcns[/b]

MOST IMPORTANT SETTING OF ALL[/b] (IMHO)

Once logged on to the web interface

Click the ComputerName link

Specify the Configure Shutdown settings

[i]UNTICK[/i][/u] Turn off the UPS after the shutdown finishes[/i].

Click Apply[/b]

This step is EXTREMELY[/b] important, otherwise once this server has shutdown it will power off the UPS regardless of other servers connected to the UPS.

Anways let me know if I've missed something or if I've opened too many ports etc. Always willing to help out.

Troy

VCP3 & VCP4 32846 VSP4 VTSP4
0 Kudos
Han
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very good summary of the steps needed. Did this recently for 2 customers and yes indeed non of the available documentation is complete.

I do have one remark. The line esxcfg-firewall -o 3052,tcp,out,"APC PowerChute Port 3052" is not necessary.

Port 3052 tcp in is necessary for configuration of PCNS through a web browser.

Port 3052 udp in is necessary for communication from the Network Management Card to PCNS, e.g. in the case of a power failure.

Port 3052 udp out is necessary for communication from PCNS to the Network Management Card and for broadcasting a shutdown to other PCNS clients on the same subnet. Remember that you can have only 50 PCNS clients registered on one Network Management Card. To address more clients the broadcast feature is used.

Port 80 is where the Network Management Card listens for communication.

Han.

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback, I'll make sure I update our documentation and change it on the servers.

Cheers Troy

0 Kudos
gwelsh123
Contributor
Contributor

attempting to install the vmware version of PCNS software on an ESX3.01 host (connected to a single APC UPS) , everything goes fine until it attempts to register the agent with the management card, at which point it times out, and im back to square one

port 3052 is opened, in and out, port 80 is open outbound....

0 Kudos
sc_2111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

got the same problem .

tried to open all the ports but the agent couldn't register

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's some general tips for troubleshooting, it's always good to go back to basics.

Can you ping the UPS management cards from the ESX hosts?

If not are they in the same subnet?

If different subnet do they have a default gateway defined?

Have you installed the windows version on a windows machine to ensure that the same settings you are using actually work?

Perhaps a reboot of the ESX host may be required after you make the firewall changes.

Is there a firewall between the UPS management cards and the ESX servers?

Hopefully one of these points you in the right direction.

0 Kudos
biekee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you use the right passphrase ?

bk

0 Kudos
chrisbuzby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the default Authentication Phrase is: "admin user phrase"

what error message do you get when it fails?

0 Kudos
Han
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Network Management Card has room for only 50 clients. Look in the configuration of the NMC to see if your client table is full.

0 Kudos
roxer
Contributor
Contributor

Check to make sure you opened up the ports on the ESX firewall before you install/configure pcns. I think you can do an "iptables -L | more" to see if the ports were opened up.

\-- roxer

Message was edited by:

roxer

0 Kudos
vreiner
Contributor
Contributor

I recently installed PCNS 2.21 on my ESX 3.01 hosts, I was reading another thread talking about problems with VMs not shutting down automagically, or the ESX host getting stuck during the "shutting down VMs" process.

That thread was older (2005), and referred to ESX 2.5x. There was discussion of whether or not to install PCNS on all the guest VMs as well as the ESX host to ensure proper shutdown of the guest VMs.

Can you folks post if you are using PCNS on the guests as well as the host, and if you have experienced any problems with guests not shutting down, or the host getting stuck during the guest shutdown process?

Thanks all in advance!

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have PCNS installed on all my guest and do not have any shutdown problems. My only problem is having enough battery life ;o)

I also have it installed on my hosts however I have not had a power outage since it was installed so can't deny or confirm the problem.

0 Kudos
vreiner
Contributor
Contributor

My understanding is that when PCNS in the ESX console sends the shutdown command all the VMs are shut down accordingly as well.

I asked my question because I would prefer not to have to install PCNS into every VM, unless I have to. It's A) a lot of work to install and maintain, and B) I'd prefer not to have to add complexity to each VM unless really necessary.

Considering the radical changes between 3.01 and 2.5x I was hoping for the best Smiley Wink

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have different requirements for different servers. IE some servers I want to shutdown before other servers like domain controllers to shutdown last so I specify different times for different guests.

But from what I understant ESX should shutdown the guests cleanly if it starts shutting down ... not something I've tried myself.

0 Kudos