VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A number of questions on Update Manager ?

We have recently upgraded to VI 3.5 and would like to seek advice on Update Manager.

Question 1

Can we change the location of download ? This is because we get a warning message saying that "VMWare Update Manager is running out of space at C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/ Application data ......". As there is another drive (D drive) with ample of free space, can we change the download location to D drive ?

Question 2

When the scheduled job "VMWare Update Manager Update Download" is run, does those downloads are automatically downloaded to the VC Server ?

Question 3

For workstation with Update Manager Plug-in enabled, does it mean that we can initiate VMWare Update jobs on that workstation ?

Question 4

I also find that there are a number of Guest OS update. Does it contain MS update or Linux update ?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lholling
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Tony

Q1 Take a look at the following message for the answer (basically you have to edit the vci-integrity.xml file in the update manager directory).

http://communities.vmware.com/message/819598

Q2 If you set it to download the patches then it will

Q3 The plugin just controls the Update Manager Service which runs on the Virtual Center Server

Leonard...

-

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Can we change the location of download ? This is because we get a warning message saying that "VMWare Update Manager is running out of space at C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/ Application data ......". As there is another drive (D drive) with ample of free space, can we change the download location to D drive ?

Don't think so, unless you can find a setting in the registry... I think this is default.

> When the scheduled job "VMWare Update Manager Update Download" is run, does those downloads are automatically downloaded to the VC Server ?

No.

> For workstation with Update Manager Plug-in enabled, does it mean that we can initiate VMWare Update jobs on that workstation ?

Update manager in ESX is separate, and it can't manage Workstation.

> I also find that there are a number of Guest OS update. Does it contain MS update or Linux update ?

Both, this is setable. You can choose which or both as needed.

0 Kudos
lholling
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Tony

Q1 Take a look at the following message for the answer (basically you have to edit the vci-integrity.xml file in the update manager directory).

http://communities.vmware.com/message/819598

Q2 If you set it to download the patches then it will

Q3 The plugin just controls the Update Manager Service which runs on the Virtual Center Server

Leonard...

-

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have a question if its ok to add on... Smiley Happy does the Update Manager service require another server as I'm hearing you cannot install this on the Virtual Center Server

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear Leonard,

Thank you for your advice.

From your reply, my understanding is that there is no point to install the Update Manager plugin with VI client on my own workstation. This is because if even it is enabled, the Update Manager Service is not running on my workstation (it is running on the VC Server) ?

Moreover, I would like to know when I upgrade all ESX 3.5 Hosts with the latest patch, does it mean that I still have to keep those patches OR when can I get rid of them (as they occupy a lot of space) ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
lholling
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No it has to run on the same server as the VirtualCenter Server as it is a service that integrates into the VI Client via a plugin. The same as the converter service

Leonard...

-

0 Kudos
lholling
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The plugin controls the service that runs on the VC server to setup baselines, schedules etc so you have to install and enable the plugin on one of your VI Client installs so that you can control it.

As far as the patches it is up to you but remember that until they bring out a new slipstreamed version of v3.5 when you install a new server you have to patch it again...

Leonard...

-