VMware Cloud Community
PaulAX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A file was not found: Creating NEW VM

Hi,

I have a problem creating a new VM.

I have seen the A file was not found: /vmfs/volums/blahblah/machine thread, but I receive this error when I try to create a new VM, so obviously I wouldn't expect the VMDK file to be present.

I am using RDM's for the disks which are mapped to our SAN.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtech
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm fairly sure I had this problem, the only way around it for me was to put the ESX host that i was creating the VM on into maintanence mode, remove the host from the cluster and then create the VM.

Add back the host to the cluster.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
virtech
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is the new VM part of a cluster? Have you used the VM name previously?

0 Kudos
PaulAX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

The VM name hasn't been used before, though on the second attempt to create the VM I received a different error. I have checked the datastore and there is no information relating to the machine I am trying to create.

The VM is in a cluster.

In the events section on the VC the events get to 'New MAC address (xx.xx.xx.xx) assigned to adapter VM Network for VM' then it fails with the initial error message.

Message was edited by: Me

PaulAX

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm fairly sure I had this problem, the only way around it for me was to put the ESX host that i was creating the VM on into maintanence mode, remove the host from the cluster and then create the VM.

Add back the host to the cluster.

0 Kudos
PaulAX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you have to do this for all new VM's now?

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From what I can recall no, the issue I had was only when trying to use a VM name that I had previously used in the cluster.

0 Kudos
affoliveira
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same problem, removing the Host from the cluster and re-importing it solved the problem.

0 Kudos
PaulAX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have removed the Host from the cluster (whilst in maintenance mode) and re-added it. I now get the following error when I try to create a new VM:

The request refers to an object that no longer exists or has never existed

Anything else I can try?

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you try and create the VM when the host was not part of the cluster? Then add it back to the cluster when the VM has been created.

0 Kudos
PaulAX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

oops, I'll try that now.

0 Kudos
PaulAX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cheers, that seems to have got it. Nice one Smiley Happy