VMware Cloud Community
Berniebgf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A General System error occurred -- when using events tab in VIC?

Hi All

When I am logged into the Virtual infrastructure client I get the following error every couple of times I browse to the "Events Tab" of my virtual machines.

"A general system error has occurred"....Everything else works fine....if you wait a bit and try again the error does not come up, it is intermitant.

Besides this error coming up in the console every now and again the system works fine.

System = DL380 G5

Version = ESX 3.0.2

Patched = Patched up to 3/10/07

Other = esXpress installed.

VM's = All just P2V'd using VMware converted ...from "VMware Server" system....VMware tools updated.

Anyone come across this before?

regards

Bernie.

Message was edited by: Texiwill: Removed greater than sign in Subject

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jimfitz
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting it too when connected to our ESXi host using VIC, but not when connected to our VC using VIC.

ESXi 3.5.0 build 130755

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What comes after "A general system error has occurred" in the message? Usually the next part is the most informative.

It could be this one:

0 Kudos
jimfitz
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately nothing appears after it.

At the host level when I go to the events tab and click on any event I get a msgbox popup stating:

-

Error

-

A general system error occurred:

-

OK

-

It doesn't seem to be causing any problems per-se, however it may be an indicator of a bigger problem. I can't guarantee, however I'm fairly certain this error never popped up when I first set the host up before Christmas.

0 Kudos
virtualesxer
Contributor
Contributor

Today I experienced the same problem: "A General System error occurred" pops up, without any other info, when selecting the Events tab in VIC. It sometimes happened on the Perfomance tab, too.

Earlier a weird thing had happened. I had opened the console to my FreeBSD system, as it needed rebooting for some maintenance, as suddenly the VM hang inexplicably (something which has never happened before). Perfomance tab indicated a permanent 100% CPU usage (whereas it should have just been idling on a prompt). So, after 5 mins I forcibly, and grudgingly, shut down the VM, and rebooted it. Everything went fine it seems, until I clicked the Events tab, and got the "A General System error occurred" error. The Event tab, at this time, had been completely wiped clean.

Like jimfitz, I suspected, while nothing other seemed out of the ordinary, that this might nonetheless be an indicator of a bigger problem. So I brought down all VMs, and rebooted the host. Now the Event tab had entries again (just one or two, after the clean start, it seems) and the error no longer took place.

So, the upshot of it all, is that apparently something went awry in the Event log manager/daemon (or whoever it is called), but since the error message is so non-telling (see next paragraph), there's no real good way of debugging it.

N.B. As putting folks in front of a firing squad is kinda illegal, could you guys at least just fire the guy who though "A General System error occurred" was a descriptive way of indicating errors? Smiley Happy I mean, seriously, this error pops up on all sorts of issues, ranging from these kind of errors to the dreaded licence expired case. I even logged into the ESX host shell, to check /var/log/messages and such; but however well I searched the place, no additional info was to be found. I really hope that, come ESX 4.0, someone with slighty more fantasy will be in charge of coming up with descriptive error messages.

0 Kudos