VMware Cloud Community
VWA4
Contributor
Contributor

802.3ad Setup/Configuration Issue

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of setting up three physical interfaces on one vSwitch to do Link Aggreation (802.3ad). However, I am running into a bit of an issue. I have two out of the three interfaces configured on the switch and am using "IP Hash" for the load balancing. The issue becomes when I add the third interface to the vswitch. Once I do that I am not able to ping some hosts on the vSwitch and others I can. If I remove the troubled interface all works as normal. If I remove the third interface from the port channel and place it on its own swith it works as normal.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing the issue?

TIA,

-Jason

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ReverendDeuce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you remember to configure the switch? From what I recall, ESX does not do LACP, you actually have to configure static 802.3ad trunks on your switch in order to get it to work properly.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Is the third interface on a different physical switch? You might give this thread a read...

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=711430&#711430

VWA4
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

Thank you for the posts. After doing some more digging in the switch it turns out that "Flow Control" was enabled on the failing interface. Once that was removed all things are good.

-Jason

BTW - esiebert7625, you have a GREAT site. I use the information there constantly.

Message was edited by:

VWA4

0 Kudos