pbieker
Contributor
Contributor

3com90x nic

With ESX3.5 , does anybody have an idea how to get the 3Com90x not supported nic to work in ESX 3.5 ? This is for test only. I do have 1 supported nic on the motherboard and an aditional 3C90x PCI card. After install everything seems to work and even the driver for the 3C90x seems loaded. Even on the nic itselfs it says link up, but in VI client it says link down.

Name PCI Driver Link Speed Duplex MTU Description

vmnic0 00:03.00 e100 Up 100Mbps Full 1500 Intel Corporation 82557/8/9

vmnic1 00:09.00 3c90x Down 0Mbps Half 1500 3Com Corporation 3C905C-TX Fast Etherlink for PC Management NIC

# esxcfg-nics vmnic1 -s 100 -d full

Error: Exec of command '/usr/sbin/esxcfg-boot -i' suceeded, but returned with non-zero status: 255

Aborted

# esxcfg-nics vmnic1 -a

Error: Exec of command '/usr/sbin/esxcfg-boot -i' suceeded, but returned with non-zero status: 255

Aborted

Any help will be apprciated.

pbieker

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not sure if there is any help on this to be had. There was a simlar issue I worked with some time back and no resolution came

The NIC works though correct?

0 Kudos
pbieker
Contributor
Contributor

I have two identical hardware configurations for VMware ESX 3.5 ( no update) on a intel server board dual cpu, 2 x scsi and with 1 build in intel ethernet pro that works. but in both servers I do have an 3com905 added. It is just that I can't affort any more for my test surroundings at my home. The NICs do work, as I did have 2k3 running on this hardware before.

I will let you know about the url results, thanks

0 Kudos