VMware Cloud Community
sgorham
Contributor
Contributor

3.5U3 - any guinea pigs yet?

After the issues that happened with U2 I am curious to see if folks have played with U3 yet. I, for one, won't even think about it for some time

0 Kudos
53 Replies
AdRem
Contributor
Contributor

After a few days of playing around with this version, I found that "Health Status" stops working every 24 hours or something on supported Dell PE 2950-III machine.

It's because of "pegasus" service which stops working with any trace in logs...

0 Kudos
mriz
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried to change the lines in simple.map file but still i cannot find my harddisk under storage. Any idea? I am using Optiplex gx620 with usb esxi U3 and i have modifed the oem.tgz file and after reboot i have checked the file located in /etc/vmware/simple.map that new values are prsented there.

0 Kudos
dane
Contributor
Contributor

NB !! Sorry, autoanswer got posted

0 Kudos
OlivR
Contributor
Contributor

Great, thanks!

0 Kudos
MikeAT
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
MikeAT
Contributor
Contributor

double post

0 Kudos
MikeAT
Contributor
Contributor

double post

0 Kudos
MikeAT
Contributor
Contributor

LOL yesterday i installed the U3 on the first box today there 6 new patches.... Smiley Wink

In which order would you manually install the 6 patches from 12/02? I tried to install the patches in the order ESX350-200811401-SG, ...02, ...05, ...06, ...08 and ...09. But because the patch ESX350-200811401-SG has a dependency to the patch ESX350-200811402-SG thats not possible. There are also some other dependencies between that 6 patches - so which install order would be the best?

Mike

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, the real answer is here : link

thanks to Duncan

0 Kudos
Quinsee
Contributor
Contributor

I have 3 Dell GX520s with A11 BIOS (the BIOS upgrade labels it as a GX620 so I assume it's the same). To clarify, these GX520s are the single core 3GHz GX520s with the ICH-7 chipset.

I tried modifying the simple.map on the CD with the U2 values, but after burning the CD and booting from it, I get a pink screen of death telling me that:

Cannot set up ramdisk: Boot image is corrupted

frame=0x1402c44...

... VisorFSObj: 2165: Tar header is invalid for etc/vmware/simple.map

No place on disk to dump data...

I can include the rest of it, but that is, to my untrained eye, the pertinent parts.

At this point, I'm trying to locate a U2 install disk and will just use it to install then try the fix on the installed system.

If anyone else has been successful getting a CD with the changes to boot, please let me know how you did it and I'll try to recreate that.

Quinsee

0 Kudos
Markymark231
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with the same hardware and was going to attempt the same thing that Qunsee did until I read his post of course. I've been trying to find a download for ESXi 3.5 Update 2 everywhere can't find one. It's definitely not on vmware.com. Anyone know where you can get it?

0 Kudos
Markymark231
Contributor
Contributor

I just spoke to VMWare TS. They confirmed that update 2 isn't available from the site. Back to the drawing board...

0 Kudos
Markymark231
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know why I wasted 1.5 days trying to get 3.5 working. I just downloaded 4.0 U1 and it worked the first time. I didn't realize that the CPU is 64 bit capable. DOH! Off to the races...

0 Kudos