VMware Cloud Community
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

3.5 iso installation help

I have downloaded the 3.5 iso and burned many versions of it to cd. When I attempt to install on my machine I get the following error: CDBOOT: couldn't find ntldr.

I do not know if this is an issue with the iso or where I am getting the boot image. I have been using the bootdisk.img to create the boot file.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

The 3.5 ISO will create a bootable CD all by itself; you don't need to use bootdisk.img or anything else, just burn the ISO to a CD and then boot with it...

0 Kudos
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Craig. I have done that with several different iso burning apps. Regardless of the tool used, I get the ntldr error.

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

The NTLDR error indicates that there is a Windows boot loader somewhere (there isn't one on the ESX 3.5 ISO). Is the CD drive on the server where you're trying to install ESX set to boot before the hard disk?

0 Kudos
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is.

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

If you boot the server without the ESX CD in the drive, do you get an NTLDR error?

0 Kudos
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

No. It is a win2k3 server and boots normally.

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

So you're looking to install ESX over top of the W2K3 server and wipe out the W2K3 server?

The procedure that works for me:

1. Download the ESX 3.5 update 3 ISO image from

2. Using Nero Burning ROM 9 under Windows

1. File, Open, select ISO file downloaded in step #1 above

2. When the burn menu appears, select "Write", and "Finalize disk" then click Burn

3. Once the CD has been burned successfully put it in the physical server

4. Verify that the CD drive is set as the first device to boot

5. Cold boot the server

6. The ESX installation starts...

0 Kudos
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

I'll try that first thing tomorrow. Will post my results.

Thanks very much for your time. I'm somewhat new to the iso concept and am sure I am doing something incorrect.

0 Kudos
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, here is where I am. I had made two different cds. One was a copy of what was called the bootable iso. It boots to a black screen with a blinking cursor.

On the other, I did what you suggested. This gives the cdboot couldn't find ntldr error, then boots normally to win2k3.

Do you think if I fdisk'ed my server that might remedy this problem?

0 Kudos
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

Server has two hard drives. Formatted the second drive, powered down, removed win2k3 drive and tried to boot on cd with blank formatted drive. Still get ntldr error.

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

I'm wondering if you have a bum ISO image file. Can you verify the MD5sum of the ISO file you have, or alternatively try downloading it again and then verifying the MD5sum before burning the CD? The latest version (update 3) should have an MD5sun of e9bdaad2d37872820a4cad8e8dbde536. If you don't already have a utility to calculate MD5sums then "digestIT" will do the job under WIndows (just right-click on the ISO after you've installed digestIT)...

Nothing else bootable is attached to the server, correct? (i.e. USB key, USB being passed through from a KVM or management card)?

0 Kudos
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

I am wondering the same thing. This is the iso file from the vmware site.

Nothing is attached except for a blank hdd and the cd drive. Still ntldr. I am figuring that something is amiss in the boot file beinonin the iso.

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

I just downloaded the latest ISO for ESX 3.5 Update 3 from the VMware web site, verified the MD5sum and burned a CD using the procedure and software I'd posted earlier. It autoboots fine and takes me to the ESX 3.5 installer...

0 Kudos
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

I'm downloading it now and I'll try it again.

0 Kudos
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, now we're "cookin' with gas". Redownloaded and reburned. Gets to installation. Gets to the Installing Packages screen, gets to 29% complete, then errors out corrupt or missing data on cd.

Another bad download? Anyone complete this download with 3.5?

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

Hehehe, sounds like you've got it lit, but its still burning a little smokey Smiley Happy

I used the ISO from the VMware download site, burned it to a CD and ran through a complete installation so that part works ok. With your "new" CD that boots, can you try running the "test" that pops up as the first prompt in the installation (says something like "Test CD" and "Skip" as the two available options). That will go through and verify that all the files are present on the CD. Another option would be to try burning the CD from the ISO on a different machine (if you haven't done that already) and at a slower burn speed to see if that gives you a "better" CD...

0 Kudos
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I'm going to download it to a different machine and try that.

Thanks for the slower burn speed idea. I had not thought of that.

0 Kudos
underscott
Contributor
Contributor

That seems to have done it. Assume it was the slower burn speed.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

I'm sure I'll be hitting you up again. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

Glad you got it going. Looking on the bright side, you now have a nice collection of CD "coasters" for the desk Smiley Happy

0 Kudos