VMware Cloud Community
kcvman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

3.5 Update 3 host will not allow vmotions - General System Error Occurred

Installed, via ISO image, Update 3 on a test ESX server - upgraded from 3.5 Update 2. Moved host into a cluster containing two 3.5 Update 2 hosts running DRS and HA. Attempted to take another host out into maintenance mode, but received "General Error" when DRS attempted to vmotion guests. Cancelled the maintenance mode task and tried to vmotion to the new Update 3 host manually. All attempts to vmotion to the new host failed. The error message (with nothing more in the Events) is:

A General System Error Occurred.

Environment is a VC Update 3 running 4 clusters. All hosts but the one upgraded are 3.5 Update 2 with latest patches.

Any ideas??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Out of curiosity, try disabling and re-enabling vmotion on your vmotion port group and see if that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kcvman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bummer....

I just looked back at my screenshots of the Update 2 bug that I sent to my SE when it happened to us back when it was released... It's the same message, same situation. Please don't tell me they did it to us again......

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Out of curiosity, try disabling and re-enabling vmotion on your vmotion port group and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Bummer....

I just looked back at my screenshots of the Update 2 bug that I sent to my SE when it happened to us back when it was released... It's the same message, same situation. Please don't tell me they did it to us again......

I must have left my crystal ball at the bar at lunch, exactly what situation and what solution were you referring to?

0 Kudos
kcvman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was just noting the simularity between the two incidences.

After applying Update 2, we received the same error when attempting to Vmotion, as did many other admins. This was due to the timebomb bug.

From the VMware technote:

Unable to Power On virtual machine with "A General System error occurred: Internal error"

A virtual machine fails to power on, fails to leave suspend mode, or fails to migrate with VMotion

0 Kudos
kcvman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

De-selecting Vmtion on the host and then re-enabling it as recommended. That resolved the issue. Now to add that to the procedures for every host upgrade....:(

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I had that issue during a U1->U2 upgrade, I spent like 2 hours trying to figure it out.... drove me nuts. It only happened on 1 out 150 systems though.

0 Kudos