VMware Cloud Community
bulabog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

3.5 U5 via VUM

Greetings All,

Could not seem to find much info via google, I just wanted to ask what your experiences are with upgrading from ESX 3.5 U4 to U5 using Vmware Update manager. Have not done an upgrade via this method before so wondering if I should expect any issues after I hit remediate.

Also, has anyone have some useful advice on upgrading the VC2.5 U4 to U5? Will the wizard installer automatically detect and upgrade the existing install? Do I need to do this prior to updating the ESX hosts to U5?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
timparkinsonShe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Absolutely no issues rolling out U5 via VUM.

You don't need to be on U5 of VC to have U5 ESX hosts. The two are decoupled enough to be able to co-exist at different versions. Just go ahead and run the installer -but follow the advice and take backups of the database and SSL certs before upgrading.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We've done all upgrade since 3.5U2 with VUM - worked flawlessly.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VUM works fine and it's very useful for update process.

But vCenter must be updated manually.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
timparkinsonShe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Absolutely no issues rolling out U5 via VUM.

You don't need to be on U5 of VC to have U5 ESX hosts. The two are decoupled enough to be able to co-exist at different versions. Just go ahead and run the installer -but follow the advice and take backups of the database and SSL certs before upgrading.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't need to be on U5 of VC to have U5 ESX hosts. The two are decoupled enough to be able to co-exist at different versions.

I do agree it's a supported configuration, however, having older agents on newer hosts could cause some weird issues. Issue like disconnects/not responding messages within vCenter.

bulabog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks all for your quick response...will now go ahead and schedule our ESX hosts for U5 Smiley Happy

Cheers!

0 Kudos