VMware Cloud Community
srgallan
Contributor
Contributor

2008 64 bit VM's are crashing - no clue/need help

To all,

We are running VMware ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5, we have been running 5 ESX servers without issues for 2 years but suddenly we have had numerous VM crashes with what appears to be no explanation. I should note that it's been the same install since they were built so the ESX servers are essentially unpatched.

We recently upgraded 2 of the ESX hosts from 32 to 64 GB of memory and shortly afterwards, a few VM's only on those hosts running Windows 2008 R1 64 bit have been crashing. It did not appear to affect any other OS for any other VM's on those 2 but only 2008 64 bit systems, could be coincidental but I figured it was worth noting. We had one single 2000 VM crash and only once so it could be related or coincidence. The only other change is that we had some new LUN's recently presented but they are not in use yet.

We spoke to HP since they are DL385 G5 servers and they recommended a firmware update, other than that nothing was found. So far VMware has not found anything but we are working on the issue with them still and will be tomorrow.

Would anyone have suggestions or experienced something similar, pointers are appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, here is what I can suggest for you. Please go throught he following link.

http://www.petri.co.il/network-issues-with-windows-server-2008-rdp-on-dell-servers.htm

Also there is a similar post here if you want to refer to

http://www.petri.co.il/network-issues-with-windows-server-2008-rdp-on-dell-servers.htm

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
0 Kudos
srgallan
Contributor
Contributor

I apologize for my delayed feedback on my post. It turns out the issue was tracked down to DIMM's by a particular manufacturer in the servers, why it was showing up only for the 2008 servers could of simply been coincidence or that they were higher use servers.

Our issue has been resolved since HP helped us replace those DIMM's with another brand.

0 Kudos