VMware Cloud Community
acon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2 nic esx server best config.

I am installing a new esx server. My server has 2 gigabyte nics, and i plan to virtualize several smalls servers with 2 nics configured as teaming.

I just want to know if the best config is:

-Create two virtual switches and connect one phisical nic to each.

-Connect each phisical nic to a separate phisical switch, without any teaming config in esx.

-On each virtual machine, connect each virtual nic to one of the virtual switches.

-Where should i connect the console and the vmkernel?

Thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have to use different IPs for service console and vmkernel.

To team two NICs together, you edit the vSwitch0 properties, and go to the NIC teaming tab, and make sure both NICs are set to active.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've been in this situation, we ultimatly decided to put everything on one vSwitch using the 2pNICs. Atleast you have some redundancy. Although it's not ideal, but given only two pNICs, it seems to me to be the best choice.

Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A 100Mb card can be connected to that server if possible and be used as the service console. Best practice is to separate the service console by connecting it to its own physical nic and vlan that so that only the administrators can see that esx server. VMKernel should also be on its own card but if you only have 2 gigabit nics, then you can place it in one of them. Are you in local/network storage?

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I run into this issue with some blade servers, where the add-on card is for fiber, which leaves only the two NICs. In this scenario, I would recommend using one vSwitch with teamed physical nics, but use VLAN tagging, dot1q on the physical switch, and creating multiple port groups. One port group/VLAN for service console, one PG/VLAN for vm networks, and a third for vmkernel. You can keep the vmkernel/vmotion with the service console, but it would be good practice to separate them.

-KjB

0 Kudos
acon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You configure same ip for console and vmkernel, or different?

0 Kudos
acon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i cant figure how to team thwo nics in esx.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have to use different IPs for service console and vmkernel.

To team two NICs together, you edit the vSwitch0 properties, and go to the NIC teaming tab, and make sure both NICs are set to active.

-KjB

0 Kudos
acon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oops, i was thinking of some complex command line procedure. Thanks for your help, i will configure it as a single switch wit both phisical nics teamed.

0 Kudos