VMware Cloud Community
njd62495
Contributor
Contributor

2 Service Consoles on 2 different subnets

I just for the life of me cant remember how to get this set up, up and running.

I have a couple of 3.5 servers that I'm configuring to have 2 service consoles on. The service consoles will be sitting on 2 different subnets so the problem is that when I go to set the default gateway for the 2nd service console naturally I lose the connectivity to the server through virtual center. It took a couple times until it finally hit me that I cant set a default gateway for the second service console but if I cant set a default gateway it doesnt serve its true purpose and is pointeless to have.

Has anyone ever had any success setting up to service consoles on 2 different subnets?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

have a look on my website planetvm.net

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
jjkrueger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Something else to keep in mind is that your Service Console default gateway is just that: the default gateway for all interfaces in your service console.

The Service Console is simply a Linux instance (granted, it's stripped down and very specialized). On a Linux system (or any system for that matter), you will only have a single, system-wide degault gateway. This is the route of last resort. You can, through the 'route' command in the Service Console, add additional routes for additional networks. This may be what you're looking to accomplish.

For example, you might do "route add -net <2nd COS network> netmask <2nd COS netmask> dev <2nd COS vswif device>"

Hope that helps,

-jk

0 Kudos