VMware Cloud Community
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

2 Service Consolen Ports with 2 different routed IPs

Hi All,

i want to configure 2 Serviconsolen Ports with to different IP Adresses. Both IPs are routed. Howe can i set to different Default gateway for this configuration.

SConsole1: 192.168.1.x

SConsole2: 10.1.1.x

Thanks for any Help

Nautilus

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
benma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey,

it's not possible to have multiple GW's.

You have to add a static route to make this happen.

Take a look at the following KB-Article: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100521...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
titaniumlegs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Technically, there is only one default gateway. This is the gateway that is used when IP knows no other way to get there.

When a destination is on the same subnet as a given interface, that interface is used to get to that subnet.

So, if you want to get to 192.168.1.100, it should automatically use SConsole1. For 10.1.1.100, it should use SConsole2.

If you want to get to 192.168.2.100 via SConsole1 and 10.anything (and the rest of the world) via SConsole2, and you use .1 for your gateway addresses then you would want something like

route add -net default gw 10.1.1.1

route add -net 192.168.2.0 gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

But if you only want to get to stuff on the same subnet, like other ESX servers in the cluster, or NFS/iSCSI storage, then you usually don't need additional routing, but you do need a VMkernel port...

Enjoy!

Peter

Share and enjoy! Peter If this helped you, please award points! Or beer. Or jump tickets.
benma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey,

it's not possible to have multiple GW's.

You have to add a static route to make this happen.

Take a look at the following KB-Article: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100521...

0 Kudos
benma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Why do you respond so fast? Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
titaniumlegs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not here often, but when I am I try to add maximum value!

:smileygrin:

Share and enjoy! Peter If this helped you, please award points! Or beer. Or jump tickets.
0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

keep it simple... Smiley Happy

i dindt think about the simple route add.....

Thanks a lot Guys

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos