VMware Cloud Community
psynophile
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2 Really Quick Questions

Hey everyone, I had 2 really quick questions regarding ESX 3.5:

We have a small cluster of 2 really nice R900s running about 50 guests and when I remediate for updates, one machine is usually powerful enough to run all of the guests by itself. Because the VMs are migrated from one to the other, after the update, all or most of the machines tend to stay on one of the hosts. Is there any way to tell DRS to automatically re-balance the resources (i.e. migrate approximately half of the load back to the other server)?

Also, what would be the cause of update manager being unable to apply all of the updates during remediation? Often I have to make multiple passes to get the servers fully up to date. Is that normal?

Thanks!

cecjr

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just let DRS do its thing, it can take a while to make a decision. If you want a faster response you could set it to aggressive or moderately aggressive.

It is normal for a few Update Manager passes, depending on what patches are being installed and dependencies.

If you found this question to be correct or helpful, please remember to award points.

Dennis Procopio - VCP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just let DRS do its thing, it can take a while to make a decision. If you want a faster response you could set it to aggressive or moderately aggressive.

It is normal for a few Update Manager passes, depending on what patches are being installed and dependencies.

If you found this question to be correct or helpful, please remember to award points.

Dennis Procopio - VCP

0 Kudos
psynophile
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cool, thank you!

0 Kudos