VMware Cloud Community
canadait
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1 VLAN not working

We have one VLAN that does not work across our 5 server enviroment. Of course we are trying to figure out between the various teams why the VLAN is not working.

We are using tagging on all of our ports and are using 802.3ad aggregriates agross two Intel NICs for the VLANs. I have about 6 other VLAN that are working on these server but not the VLAN X in question.

VLAN X looks setup correctly. We have placed the VLAN ID into the port group exactly as our other working port groups.

Network guys tell me that their settings are all the same.

I do have another ESX server that has a NIC setup to use the VLAN but not via tagging and it works fine.

Sorry if I am not descibing the problem correctly? Any ideas? Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Could it be that your using a reserved VLAN ID?

certain numbers (usually at the start and end of the available range) can't be used.

0 Kudos
canadait
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

No using a standard VLAN ID ie) not vlan 1 or something silly

0 Kudos
EricTam
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking for the same issue.

dot1q trunk to the NICs and vSwitch in the ESXi v4.

The only solution I have so far is to remove the VLAN in vSphere and added it back.

0 Kudos
paulmack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Assuming your Physical Switches are Cisco was the switchport or ports in question configured in that VLAN before they were changed to vlan trunk mode? I had an issue where a particular vlan (portgroup) was giving me intermittent trouble and traced it back to this. Before I put a port to be used by ESX as a vswitch uplink port into trunk mode i put the port into the native vlan. It was a while ago when I ran into this problem but if I'm remembering correctly I think if you look at the cdp info for the pNic in VI Client you'll see it showing up in that VLAN and if you do a show vlan on the switch it'll be in that VLAN.

Cheers

Paul

0 Kudos
EricTam
Contributor
Contributor

To be more specific, this ESX cluster, and the vSwitces are configured the same on all hosts. (ie. dot1q trunk to all NICs)

A bunch of guestes are on say VLAN 100, one of them will not work on a specific host, say host 1, then, if I vMotion to host 2, it works. When I move back to host 1, sometime work and some time not. I have raised this with VMWare and it is currently with their Level 3 support staff.

I will give this forum an update once I hear something constructive back from VM.

0 Kudos
boatrke1
Contributor
Contributor

Is host 1 and host 2 on the same switch? We've had issues with out network admins adding the VLAN to the port but forgetting to add the VLAN to the ether channel. The vms will communicate as long as they are on the same switch. Might be something to check.

Kevin

0 Kudos
EricTam
Contributor
Contributor

Both hosts has two NICs and they are going to the same switches.

ie

Host 1 NIC 1 -> Switch 1

Host 1 NIC 2 -> Switch 2

Host 2 NIC 1 -> Switch 1

Host 2 NIC 2 -> Switch 2

dot1q, trunk only, no pruning.

Update from VMWare Level 3 support, they come back and ask me to check the same thing. We have checked the config about 3 thimes before we submit the case. I think it is time to send them our switch config to VM.

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Are you sure that the VLAN in question is NOT the native VLAN? Because if it is, all packets will be sent from the physical switches out to ESX without a tag...

Visit my blog at http://erikzandboer.wordpress.com

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
boatrke1
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried breaking the team on the network adapters to limit the connection to only one switch?

0 Kudos