VMware Cloud Community
stephenmbell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmware-cmd removesnapshot running 24 hours +

We have a server that is still running ESX 3.01, we are preparing to replace the hardware and upgrade everything.  Through this preparation process I came across a VM that has some old (2009), HUGE snapshots that need to be commited. 

Because of problems I have experienced removing snapshots through the console in the past, I decided to run this from the command line.  I ran the vmware-cmd command to remove the snapshots, connected to a secondary ssh session to watch the delta files.  I am at a point now where all of the delta files are gone from the directory but the snapshots are still listed in the vmsd file.  In addition, the vmware-cmd session has not yet returned to a prompt (either it is hung or still doing something?!?!)

It has been running (or hung) for about 24 hours now.  I was about to kill this process and try to start up the VM - but I decided to post here first. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

sb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can't tell you for sure what happened. However, since the delta files are gone it should be safe to assume that the snapshot cleanup process has finished and the vmware-cmd command may just wait for a call-back that will probably never come due to e.g. timeouts. I'd go ahead check the VM's .vmx file to see whether this was updated properly with the base .vmdk files and then kill the process. If you want you may also take a look at the VM's vmware.log file which should contain entries about the snapshot consolidation. Don't worry too much about the .vmsd file, this is just a text file which contains the information shown in the Snapshot Manager. If all snapshots are gone you can delete this file.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can't tell you for sure what happened. However, since the delta files are gone it should be safe to assume that the snapshot cleanup process has finished and the vmware-cmd command may just wait for a call-back that will probably never come due to e.g. timeouts. I'd go ahead check the VM's .vmx file to see whether this was updated properly with the base .vmdk files and then kill the process. If you want you may also take a look at the VM's vmware.log file which should contain entries about the snapshot consolidation. Don't worry too much about the .vmsd file, this is just a text file which contains the information shown in the Snapshot Manager. If all snapshots are gone you can delete this file.

André

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

While you wait for more feedback on this thread, whatever you do don't kill the process.  Keep an eye on free space on your datastores for the duration and be patient.

Edit:  Whew.  Disregard me.  André posted while I was typing.  Just wanted to stop you if your finger was on the trigger until you got the pros

0 Kudos
stephenmbell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you both for the response.  Sure enough, the delta files were gone, the vmx file was pointing to the proper vmdk and the log file looked like the snap shots had been committed. 

I powered the machine on and it came right up.  Now I've got 2 more machines to do this with 😕

Thanks again!

sb

0 Kudos