VMware Cloud Community
johncpu515
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmtion between an intel 5130 and 5450?

Are the 5130 and the 5450 compatible for vmotion? Does anybody know where I can find a up to date cpu compatible chart?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Aftenposten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are the 5130 and the 5450 compatible for vmotion? Does anybody know where I can find a up to date cpu compatible chart?

I have tested vmotion between 5130 and 5450. It did not work. I deliberated for a tiny moment if I should try masking, but decided to create new cluster for the servers with the 5450 processors.

GB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMotion Processor Compatibility Requirements

To support VMotion, make sure that the source and destination hosts have compatible processors. You can distinguish different processor versions within the same family

by comparing the processors' model, stepping level, and extended features.

To learn more about VMotion CPU compatibility requirements, refer to the following:

For Intel Processors refer to: http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1991

For AMD Processors: http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1992

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
johncpu515
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,

I already looked at that article and did not see anything for the 54xx serier. As far as i can tell they are the same except that the 5130 is a dual core and the 5450 is a quad core. I want to order the serve today but just need to make sure i can vmotion to my existing server which hasa 2x5130 cpus'

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I don't think its going to work you MUST confirm with your sales representative before you order them its very critical.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/62536

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Aftenposten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have tested vmotion between 5130 and 5450. It did not work. I deliberated for a tiny moment if I should try masking, but decided to create new cluster for the servers with the 5450 processors.

GB

0 Kudos
johncpu515
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,

do you know if DBS (demand-based switching with enhanced intel speedstep technology) is a factor for vmotion? I am now looking at the 5300 series which seems to be a good match for the 5130 except my 5130 does not have dbs and the 5335 does as do most of them?

Thansk Again,

John

0 Kudos