VMware Cloud Community
fitzie22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmotion between single core and duel core

I have 2 Dell PE 6850's and according to the dell vmotion chart for cpu's they are compatible. But now the question is is there an issue if one of the servers has 4 single core procs and the other has 4 duel procs and HA working correctly?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the processors are vmotion compatible, then you will be fine. ESX is NUMA aware, so it knows the difference between a core and a socket CPU and the memory implications of the two.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the processors are vmotion compatible, then you will be fine. ESX is NUMA aware, so it knows the difference between a core and a socket CPU and the memory implications of the two.

-KjB

0 Kudos
rabih_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

should not be a problem.

Only be aware that ocne the VM is powered up on the new server, it will actually use the core and not the whole socket.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Just in case vmotions will fail anyway: You could try to use EVC in your cluster. This will mask any features from the most feature-rich CPU in the cluster down to a level of the others... Downside: All VMs in the cluster must be powered down in order to enable EVC. Workaround: build a new cluster, enable EVC, then move your ESX hosts in one by one (using vmotion to keep your VMs running). If it is allowed to stop all of your VMs that is the easier way of course.

Visit my blog at http://erikzandboer.wordpress.com

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

EVC requires intel flexmigration and amd-v extended migration to be enabled/available in the processor. It has its own set of requirements as well. I don't believe those features are available in a single-core, but I may be mistaken. See here for more details: and

-KjB

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The best way to check VMotion is to try to migrate the VM. If the validation gets successful it will be VMotioned, else it will give you an error.. Smiley Happy

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos