VMware Cloud Community
donlee
Contributor
Contributor

vmkping reports 100% packet loss

Hello, i am posting to inquire if there is any way to re-initialize a nic without rebooting the host? I have two hosts out of my 9-host cluster that can no longer communicate on the vmkernel (VMOTION) adapter. I opened a ticket with VMware support and they concluded it must be a networking problem. I have link light and my linkspeed duplex is autonegotiating at 1000/full. I have verified the lan segment and there does not appear to be any reason for these two hosts to be having problems. vmkping is reporting 100% packet loss on the two hosts but the remaining 7 hosts are working fine. I have tried moving to a different switch port, moving to a different switch, removing and re-adding the vmkernel network connection. I would try to reboot but between these two servers I have 30 production VMs running.

any advice is appreciated; thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

what does ' esxcfg-vmknic -l' tell you?

Are you using VLAN tagging on the vmkernel port group? If so, is the switch setup correctly?

0 Kudos
donlee
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have confirmed that the settings are exactly the same across all

hosts. Yes I am using vlan tagging so that all my ports are identical

in configuration. The only thing I can say is that our two core 6513

switches were rebooted earlier that day before the migration timeouts

started. Subsequent troubleshooting has not revealed any

mis-configuration on the networking side. I have tried changing the IP

address of the vmkernel connection as well also with no results. I

tried removing vlan tagging from the connection and turning off tagging

on the switch also with no results. It's almost like the nic needs

turned off and back on again. But I don't know if that is possible

without rebooting the host.

thanks

Don

0 Kudos
donlee
Contributor
Contributor

new development, I just re-configured an unused port for vmotion and deleted the old vmkernel connection and now vmotion is working. so now maybe I can get this thing into maintenance mode and reboot the host.

0 Kudos
donlee
Contributor
Contributor

rebooting the host resolved my issues... I dont know what caused the problem or if it could have been resolved without rebooting but as of now I no longer have the problem...

thanks anyway..

Don

0 Kudos