VMware Cloud Community
bwalker5150
Contributor
Contributor

vm-support -n is hanging

I'm trying to run vm-support -n and redirect is to a VMFS volume using -f and -w. The process appears to just hang. It creates a directory on the VMFS volume that I redirect to, and places only a log and text file there. The process never finishes. I've tried running vm-support -n with no redirection, but it fails when it runs out of disk space. I have 1.3 GB of free space on / where the tmp folder resides. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you tried just vm-support?

0 Kudos
bwalker5150
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

disk space is not an issue?

What if you run vdf -h

0 Kudos
bwalker5150
Contributor
Contributor

Not on the VMFS volume that I'm redirecting to. Space is an issue on /. There is a file named VMWareClusterManager.trace that is 2.1GB. Can this file be deleted safely?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

The VMWareClusterManager.trace I believe has something to do with non-registered guests. Do you have any? I can't advise as to whether or not you can safely delete it though.

But, I believe once you clear up your space issues on /, you shouldn't have any problems running the support dump.

If you have a vCenter server you can also try to Export Diagnostic Data from there on the particular host. Is VMware Support asking you to run this dump? If so, do you have an SR open? I would ask them about the VMWareClusterManager.trace log

0 Kudos