VMware Cloud Community
dventet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcbSnapAll error - Can't find host

I'm trying to run a backup script that uses the vcbSnapAll command. It was working fine up to a few weeks ago and then I noticed my backups stopped. I took a look in the error logs and found this:

2008-12-12 22:00:42.557 'vcbSnapAll' 3076469568 verbose Host <host name> (<host name>) is not known to this VirtualCenter instance.

2008-12-12 22:00:42.557 'vcbSnapAll' 3076469568 error Error: Could not find host <host name> on this VirtualCenter instance.

I tried specifying "localhost" and even the IP instead of the host name but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dennis

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
djciaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what output do you get from the command "hostname"? is it the FQDN or just the short name?

Check the configuration from the VI client - ESX

host -> Configuration -> DNS and routing -> both items (Name:

and Domain:) should be completed.

check your host file and make sure that you can resolve name of server correctly

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
djciaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what output do you get from the command "hostname"? is it the FQDN or just the short name?

Check the configuration from the VI client - ESX

host -> Configuration -> DNS and routing -> both items (Name:

and Domain:) should be completed.

check your host file and make sure that you can resolve name of server correctly

0 Kudos
dventet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, I was afraid this would be a stupid easy problem.

Hostname returned correctly, but I found that the domain name somehow vanished inside the VI client. Once I reset that the problem was fixed.

thx!

0 Kudos
djciaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

good stuff1 glad your back on track Smiley Happy

0 Kudos