VMware Cloud Community
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

upgrade 3.x to 3.5 - where is the tarball

Quick question ...

Is there a tarball for upgrading esx 3.0.x to 3.5 and if so where is it. I only see the iso or the upgrade from 2.5 tarball.

thanks for any help

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Hairyman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Last time we upgraded was from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 we used an ISO burnt to a CD and booted of off that and it did the upgrade, so unless you have a non-standard custom install boot of the CD should do the trick

0 Kudos
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I appreciate your response and understand that I can upgrade from the iso but I was expecting an upgrade tarball - thus my question...

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

There's a tarball available for download

0 Kudos
Hairyman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX Server 3.5 CD image

Boot your server with this CD in order to install ESX Server 3.5 ISO image

(md5sum:4c49a382232ff7983fa273718e9fb4b8)

Upgrade package to ESX Server 3.5

This package provides expert users with remote, headless upgrade capability to ESX Server 3.5. Most normal upgrades can be accomplished using the standard CD image. Binary (.tar.gz)

(md5sum:740ccc86a4c21008cf663ffc8a20eaf8)

Based on the download options that i get (as above) there is infact an upgrade tarball?

0 Kudos
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, but I'm fairly certain that is for upgrading from 2.5.x not for 3.0.x --> 3.5

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Looks to me that the tarball is for 2.x-->3.5 according to the readme inside the tarball. There are usually 2 tarballs available for downloading, not sure why there is only one...

VMware ESX Server 3.5.0 Upgrade README

============================================

Summary

-

This tarball upgrades ESX Server 2.x to

ESX Server 3.5.0.

Eric Siebert

VMware Communities User Moderator

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

The 3.5 upgrade guide doesn't list a tarball method for upgrading from 3.x, only for 2.x so maybe you have to use the CD for this...

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_upgrade_guide.pdf (page 67)

Host Upgrade Methods

Multiple methods are available for upgrading the VMware ESX Server host:

Graphical installer from CD - Use a graphical, mouse‐based installation program to upgrade ESX Server. This is the recommended installation method.See "Upgrading Using the Graphical Installer" on page 68.

Text‐mode installer from CD - Use a text‐based interface to upgrade ESX Server. Choose this upgrade method if your video controller, keyboard, or mouse does not function properly using the graphical installer. See "Upgrading Using the "Text‐Based Installer" on page 70.

Tarball installer from download - Use the service console to upgrade ESX Server. See "Upgrading from ESX Server 2.x Using a Tarball" on page 73.

Scripted upgrade from CD or PXE server - Use a scripted installation method to upgrade ESX Server. For information about scripted installations and upgrades, see the Installation Guide.

On page 74 it talks about updating via Esxupdate, not sure where this zip file is located though...

Upgrading from ESX Server 3.x Using esxupdate:

You can upgrade from ESX Server 3.x to ESX Server 3.5 using the esxupdate utility provided with ESX Server 3.x. The esxupdate utility is for ESX Server 3.

For ESX Server 3i, use the vihostupdate utility instead.

Useful esxupdate options

If you need to upgrade multiple ESX Server 3.x hosts in‐place, you can extract the zip archive onto an NFS share or an HTTP server. Then point the esxupdate command to

the shared location. This saves you from having to download and extract the archive onto each ESX Server host. For example:

esxupdate -r http://bitserver.mycompany.com/pub/ESX3.5/upgrade update

Other useful options:

-n/--noreboot

Disable the automatic reboot after update. If you include this option, you must reboot the host manually for the changes to take effect.

-x

Exclude a package.

To upgrade using esxupdate:

1 Download the esxupdate zip file.

This zip file is not the same as the tarball used to upgrade from ESX Server 2.x to ESX Server 3.5. Ensure that you have downloaded the correct file before proceeding.

2 Extract the compressed zip file and change to the newly created directory. The easiest way to do this is to run the unzip command: unzip VMware-esx-upgrade-from-esx3-.zip

3 Type esxupdate update.

When the update command completes, the software reboots the ESX Server host.

For detailed information on the esxupdate utility, see the ESX Server 3 Patch Management Guide. For information on the vihostupdate utility for ESX Server 3i, see the Setup Guide.

Eric Siebert

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
fcapizzo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, so I'm not going crazy here. There is no tarball (right now) on VMware's site to upgrade from 3.0.x to 3.5, correct?

0 Kudos
InTime
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the same boat.

Servers are in a remote datacenter. I could ship the CD but do not really want to deal with customs.

Jay

0 Kudos
kriewald
Contributor
Contributor

Me too ... waiting for esx3-2-35-tarball

0 Kudos
spy4hire
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, waiting for the Tarball as well. 2.x to 3.5 doesn't help me much.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The upgrade package from ESX 3.0.x to ESX 3.5 will be uploaded shortly. Unlike the previous versions, as the documentation states, this upgrade package will be in the form of a Zip file. We apologise for the inconvenience but assure you that this upgrade bundle will be made available by the end of the day. Appreciate your patience on this.

0 Kudos
kriewald
Contributor
Contributor

Hi akotian!

...wrote the message, went to bed, ... , got awake, saw your post, downloaded the tarball and will try the update in the next minutes.

Great timing - Thanx! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kriewald
Contributor
Contributor

Update 3.0.2 -> 3.5.0 worked perfectly!-----

INFO: --- TOTALS: 96 packages installed, 0 pending or failed, 5 removed, 0 excluded ---

INFO: Install of is almost done.

INFO: Please reboot the ESX Server by typing 'reboot' to complete the update.

0 Kudos
Solfoit
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Great that there is a zip file available. But what should i do with it? Unpack it with windows and copy it to the esx hosts?

With kind regards

Ruud

0 Kudos
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copy it across to your ESX server and unzip it there

then cd into the directory it just created and esxupdate .

Note this is only for upgrading ESX 3.0.x to esx 3.5.0

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

No need to copy it to the ESX Server, they are moving away from this. Read the new patching guide, you setup an HTTP depot and use esxupdate to connect to it and install the upgrade.

http://vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_esxupdate.pdf

Eric Siebert

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
sdorsey
Contributor
Contributor

I know its a pain, but can't you send them the ISO and have them burn it at the remote location? I know its a pain and I know you don't want the users doing the upgrade, but it does seem one way to get a CD to the other side.

0 Kudos