VMware Cloud Community
allineed
Contributor
Contributor

unable to migrate

Hello,

after upgrading ti VI3 we only can use 1 CPU virtual maschines with vmotion. If we try to migrate a 2 or more cpu maschine we get the Message:

Unable to migrate from <host-a> to <host-b>: Virtual machine has 2 virtual CPUs, but the host software only supports 1. Please check the licenses on the host.[/b]

in the Migrate Virtual Machine Wizard.

Is there someone who can explain this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
whynotq
Commander
Commander

I had this a while back and it turned out to be a license server issue, had to reboot the License server, disconnect and reconnect the Hosts been OK since. there are a number of threads on the site discussing this issue link to one below:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=463260&#463260

0 Kudos
Bart_VK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi allineed,

What kind of license does each VI3 host have. A possiblity here is that one VI3 host is VI3 standard or enterprise who support multiple virtual processors and that the second ESX server is a VI3 starter edition which doesn't support multiple virtual processors.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
t8bloom
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the great fix on this! I had the same issue and this worked great. I restarted the license service, then disconnected and reconnected the target server. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Pennguino
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help. Thats all I had to do also. Disconnect and reconnect the ESX server after rebooting the License server

0 Kudos
adithya_bhat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Buddy,

It worked for me also...

Adi-

0 Kudos