VMware Cloud Community
davis_lambton
Contributor
Contributor

superseded patches

hello,

I have 4 ESX 3.0.1 32039 servers that need patching. None of them have had any patches applied yet. It looks like there is a mountain of patching ahead of me. If a patch indicates that it supersedes a pervious patch, can i just skip the previous patch? Or is there a better way to get things up to speed here.

thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I would install ESX patches even though a later patch supercedes the current one. I had trouble jumping patches in this way. It should work, but I learned the hard way the best thing to do is install them all.

Are you doing them manually? you might try the web method, it works pretty good.

petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would think so as well. The best way would be go would be to apply each 3.0.1 patch release starting with the November 30, 2006 patches for 3.0.1 and continuing until you get current with the February 20, 2008 patches. I think there are 13 patch releases for 3.0.1. That is the cleanest way and makes sure you get everything applied and in the correct order regardless of superceded patches.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
davis_lambton
Contributor
Contributor

looks like i have some work ahead of me then. i'm looking into the VMTS Patch Manager now.

thanks.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

good luck, once you get going it shouldn't that bad.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos