VMware Cloud Community
laserjetyang
Contributor
Contributor

snmp issume of the virtual machine created by esxi

I have created a virtual machine in ESX environment.

There are a couple of applications previously working on HP or IBM servers have some snmp problems, because there is no such vmware specific snmp on the virtual machine.

I am wondering is there snmp mib or rpm specially for the virtual machines created by ESX?

I know IBM and HP provide their hardware specific MIB, but I do not know whether vmware provide similar machine specific MIB?

thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I don't get your point. What are you looking for? SNMP for the ESX host or for guests? Or what?

Please describe your problem in more detail.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
laserjetyang
Contributor
Contributor

I am saying the snmp for the esx guest, the virtual machine.

because when I install my application on HP or IBM machines, I will also install the SNMP MIB which is provided by HP or IBM, but when I install my application on the virtual machines, I am not successful to find out the MIB for virtual machine.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

You can't install HP or IBM management agents on virtual hardware, as the real physical hardware is not accessible (O.K, there's one thing which is accessed natively, the processor). MIBS have never to be installed on the system to be managed.

You can use all software agents and if you use the Microsof SNMP service, this will work, also.

The MIB's have to be installed on the management server, like HP SIM. That can be a virtual machine, no question. You can install, compile and integrate all MIB's off all managed systems there.

If you want to manage the ESX server itself, you have to install the agents in the ESX Console. You'll find the MIB's you must use in the management appliation there as well. But these VMware MIB's are buggy. They changed the OID in the past and didn't reflect that in the MIB's. I opened a call a few month ago and I got some new MIB's from them.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

For ESX hosts SNMP management, you can use HP SIM, Dell OM, IBM Director agents and monitor them. You can also use Solarwinds VM Monitor, Veeam Monitor, vFoglight, Nagios, SCOM 2007, and bunch others available so it depends. If you just want to monitor your virtual machines, than using free tool such as Nagios is fine. We're running Dell Open Manger to monitor our ESX farms basic monitorings. For our Windows servers, we're using SCOM 2007 to monitor everything through SCOM agents deployed. We also integrated SCOM 2007 to monitor ESX hosts but its just simple basic. To maximize all ESX monitoring, you can use nWorks Management Pack for ESX and it works perfectly with SCOM 2007.

So, I'm not sure what you want to accomplish, but you can decide from the details above and implement them. Good luck.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos