VMware Cloud Community
markza
Contributor
Contributor

scripted convertering

Hey VM Guru's

Im desperatley looking for a method to script a conversion of a physical machine to a esxi host every night for backup purposes. Problem is I dont have a enterprise license but am prepared to pay for the enterprise converter if needed to get the p2vtool.exe is this at all possible, or must you buy full VI3? Or maybe possibly done via powershell?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Alot

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check out the following link for ino (A little bit) on using converter to backup live VM

http://www.backupcentral.com/content/view/66/47/

As to scripting it on a nightly basis I am not sure how that would be best accomplished.

Have you thought about using Netbackup (Or some other standard backup product) to backup the physical system. Then restore to a Vanila VM if needed (you would most likely need to repair OS once restore was completed but it should be doable)

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

p2vtool is the only command line option that I know of to do this in a scripted fashion. The typical licensing requirements should still come in to play. With free version, you won't have support for p2v directly to esx, which is what you want to do. The converter license should be enough.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
markza
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replys! Where do I get p2vtool? Downloaded the Converter 4 but it doesnt seem to come with that.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

check the 3.0.3 enterprise version. I don't believe 4 comes with it.

0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

You could use Platespin's powerConvert Enterprise product (IT may have been renamed to platespin Migrate now - I cant keep up) which will perform differential P2V at scheduled intervals to ensure you have a virtual synced copy of your physical box. Price is around £350 per host you want to protect. It will also do V2P, P2P, V2V etc.

0 Kudos
markza
Contributor
Contributor

I tried this p2vtool but it seems like even if you try to export standard vmware server images it still complains about a license. My local VMware supplier isnt aware of a vmware converter license only? Purchasing a license just for the converter isnt a problem, where could I get more information about this?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The convert license is free, if you have ESX enterprise. If you do not, you have to get one. The converter license is really the only thing that limits you from converting directly to ESX. ESX itself does not stop you from doing that. So, if you have the license for converter, then you should be good to go, as far as licensing goes. Without that license, you are only allowed one-way conversions. Meaning, you can convert a physical to local files, and then convert the local files to ESX. Or, you can install converter on the physical box itself that you want to convert, and convert that machine directly to ESX without the intermediary step of converting to files. Hope that makes more sense.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
markza
Contributor
Contributor

Thats not entirely true, I cant even convert with p2vtool to files on my local disk. It seems like if you want to use the command line tool you have to have a license regardless.

<hostedSpec path="
desktop\temp" username="10.10.10.10\Bibi" vmName="Bibi"/>

</dest>

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

We're mixing things up. The converter GUI license itself is how I mention above. The p2vtool does seem to need to validate against a license, unless you're using the CLI to restore a vcb backup.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
markza
Contributor
Contributor

Cant automate a GUI, unless I use some type of app to record my mouse clicks? Smiley Wink

p2vtool license arguments:

-l Print License

-n arg Change License

Here is what happens when I run it:

C:\PROGRA1\VMware\VM45C91>p2vTool.exe -p -i -s bibi.xml

p2vTool version 3.0.3 build-89816

Reading P2V input from file bibi.xml...

...done

No valid license found. Need a valid enterprise license to work.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Agreed, but you did mention that a converter license is not a problem. Maybe you can call your sales rep and get a trial license.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
markza
Contributor
Contributor

Problem im sitting with is I cant purchase a license just for the converter & my client isnt prepared to buy Virtual Center just so he can do conversions.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

This is a difficult enough job with the proper tools, and without them is that much harder. What about some disk clone utilities? You can clone your drives on a regular basis, and then use them as basis for a restore to a virtual machine?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
markza
Contributor
Contributor

Probably could but that still requires manual intervention. Have u worked with http://www.vizioncore.com/products/vConverter/ ?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I personally have not. Not sure if that comes with a CLI, though, but it does have a trail version. I'd check with my sales rep to see if I can get a converter enterprise license as well, and see how that compares to others. Up to you though, I'm not trying to sell you on a product. Smiley Wink

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Probably could but that still requires manual intervention.

You want REPLICATOR not VConverter. Replicator IS Automated.

http://www.vizioncore.com/products/vReplicator/

0 Kudos