VMware Cloud Community
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

resize disk space on vm

hi!

I have a little problem, when I converted a vm to my esx server so did I choose 14GB for the vm.

But I have now realize that I need more space on the vm. but the problem is that I shutdown the vm and

grant more space but the does not get more space just none alcolated in diskmgmt. and by that I will have to

make a new partition.

Can i add more disk to C: by not formatting the disk? or can i add more diskspace to a new partition

(if i add 20gb more now and want to add 20gb extra to the same partition in 2 months or something like that?) ??

thanks

/R

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

here is the guide. Hope is helpful.

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

See http://vmware-land.com/Resizing_Virtual_Disks.html for lots of possible solutions.

0 Kudos
willymaykett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeap, you sure can.

Done it heaps of times.

It appears your running windows.

First extend the disk using vmfstool to the size you want.

Add the disk via another VM, drop to a cmd prompt, and run diskpart (W2K3).

Change the focus to the disk, and then increase the partiton using the commands. (I think it is extend, something like that)

Drop the vdisk, then run the normal VM.

The c: drive will now use all the space, no extra partitions made or required. Real easy under windows.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just use some bootable CD with HDD partition software which can work with NTFS like Acronis Disk Director.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'd use vmkfstools to extend the disk, then boot off a CD such as Barts PE - open the command prompt and use disk part.

Simply select the volume and extend it.

Here's a link..... some of it's in Dutch but still makes sense to me...

0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

After resizing the disk you should see the extra space at the end of the disk using diskmgmt.msc for example

You can either:

A) Use diskmgmt.msc to create another partition in this new space, or

B) Use a bootable cd such as gparted live cd to resize the current partition to give it the new space.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional / VMware vExpert Award 2009

Help, Guides and How Tos

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

here is the guide. Hope is helpful.

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
mrksiddiqui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Done this many times.

1. Download and Place gparted.iso so it is accessible from the VM in question.

2. Shutdown VM (make sure is it proper shutdown otherwise you may get error in next for unclean filesyste).

3. Extend the Vdisk size to what ever you want.

4. Boot the VM in question to gparted.iso and resize the to maximum avaiable size.

5. Reboot. Windows may require another boot.

You would need gparted which is availabe for free.

If this helps answer your question please consider awarding points!
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

very good information from all of you.

I tried to use gparted but how do I boot the cd in to the vm?

can I burn gparted on a cd and put it in the servers cd-reader and then boot the vm?

any other tip on how I can do?

0 Kudos
CollinSiebert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a question regarding ESXi I'm still testing it on a fully loaded Poweredge 2900, and I have a Raid 10 with 146GB drives and I have about 20GB free after loading most of our production servers on it. All Servers on this box are on a standalone network and nothing is contacting them in anyway.

Problem: I have notice over several days my when database store is shrinking about 1GB every few days why is they happening and how do I stop this. I thought maybe I needed to reboot the whole ESXi box to reclaim the space and it didn't make any difference it was since gone. I do have all swap space for all machines on a sepreate SATA Drive.

Any one have any thoughts on this?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you can do that. You can also mount the cd in your desktop and use the vi client's connect cd/dvd option to mount the cd or even the ISO itself through the vi client. If you go that route, I would suggest editing the vm's settings, and in the options tab, under boot, I would check the box to make the vm boot into the bios at the next boot. Then make sure the cd is higher than disk in the boot list. This should allow you an option to connect your cd and boot gparted.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check to see if you have snapshots. Snapshots will continue to grow unchecked until they consume all disk space on a datastore. If you don't need the backup anymore, committ/delete the snapshots, and you should be able to reclaim the space before you run out completely.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
CollinSiebert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I do have several snapshots, for testing purposes.. You when said commit you mean.. If I'm happy with where the machines are at the moment just go and delete all previous snapshots?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, otherwise the snapshots will continue to grow. Be advised that if the snapshots are large in size, the committ/delete can take a long time to complete. If you view the process through vi client connected to vCenter, it may time out. If you want to monitor the progress, connect your vi client directly to the esx host with the vm on it.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

yes it is not good practice to leave Snapshots open on guests for a significant period of time, you are seeing the reason as to why not :smileygrin:

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
CollinSiebert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is reguarding ICEMAN comments about resizing VM's For example I have serveral VM that have too much space alloactated to them, and I need too size them down. I have resized the VM's using GPart. But after that how do I take that free space from that VM and put it back into the datastore for ESX?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can't do that. While you can increase the size of a vm disk, you can not decrease it. You can, however, use converter and resize volume in the conversion process.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is there an advantage to extending disk with vmkfstools as opposed to adding disk space under edit settings > Hard disk > New size? In the past you had to do this under vmkfstools with earlier versions of ESX.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not really, all the VIC client is doing in reality is issueing the same as a vmfstools -X

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos