VMware Cloud Community
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

quick urgent question!

My SAN engineer accidentally wipe out the LUN which still reside on of our test server which has two c: & d: drives on the LUN. He doesn't have backup of that LUN so worthless to say, anyways anyone know how to power off the VM that is not connected to the LUN vmdk or config files? I've power off from VI client but hung at 95% and didn't go no where, end the process by restart the VC server service and use service console ps -ef | grep vmname*.vmx and kill -9 PID didn't work.

Anyways, anyone has quick command to power off.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bjd145-1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can try this as well -

1. cat /proc/vmware/vm/*names

2. The output should look something like this:

vmid=1130 pid=-1 cfgFile="/vmfs/volumes/44be47e1-bc8201c6-b8cb-0016357ce3c3/WIKI-DBS1/WIKI-DBS1.vmx" uuid="50 2c 5d 4f ea 65 a4 d8-dd a2 cc ab 70 ac 52 3f" displayName="WIKI-DBS1"

vmid=1238 pid=-1 cfgFile="/vmfs/volumes/44be47e1-bc8201c6-b8cb-0016357ce3c3/DGI-STG-WEB02_1/DGI-STG-WEB02.vmx" uuid="50 2c ed c3 86 a8 f2 54-bb 84 a3 51 53 db ca bd" displayName="DGI-STG-WEB02"

3. Grab the vmid of the virtual machine that is having issues

4. Run the command: /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmkload_app -k 9 <VM's vmid>

5. If the following is received then it was successful:

Warning: Apr 20 16:22:22.710: Sending signal '9' to world <VM's vmid>.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vm-support -x to list the running VMs and their World IDs.

Then vm-support -X worldid

(note the x is case sensitive in both commands)

This then prompts you with a couple of questions, then runs a debug stop of the VM, and creates a set of log files as well that you can forward to VMware tech support for them to check if you so desire.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If kill -9 didn't work (unsurpringly, as its probably in IO wait), you are out of options.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/vmnamefolder/vmvmxfilename.vmx stop hard

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Logon to service console, the previous deleted LUN showed in red/yellow which can't be accessible at this point. I'm thinking VMotion all the VMs to different ESX hosts and reboot it hopefully it will clear out. At this point, vmdk and config files on LUN are not accessible totally wipe. Anyways, any other commands as well? I'm out of options besides reboot.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yeah, if Kill and Kill -9 don't work, I have always just resorted to VMotion and a Reboot. Sorry.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Believe it or not, during my migration to other ESX host to reboot the other ESX host, after 10 minutes somehow the VM itself power off and I was able to remove it from inventory. I think the command ps -ef | grep vmname.vmx and kill -9 PID did the trick but I wasn't patience enough so I don't have to reboot my host. Thanks again folks for feedback.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
bjd145-1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can try this as well -

1. cat /proc/vmware/vm/*names

2. The output should look something like this:

vmid=1130 pid=-1 cfgFile="/vmfs/volumes/44be47e1-bc8201c6-b8cb-0016357ce3c3/WIKI-DBS1/WIKI-DBS1.vmx" uuid="50 2c 5d 4f ea 65 a4 d8-dd a2 cc ab 70 ac 52 3f" displayName="WIKI-DBS1"

vmid=1238 pid=-1 cfgFile="/vmfs/volumes/44be47e1-bc8201c6-b8cb-0016357ce3c3/DGI-STG-WEB02_1/DGI-STG-WEB02.vmx" uuid="50 2c ed c3 86 a8 f2 54-bb 84 a3 51 53 db ca bd" displayName="DGI-STG-WEB02"

3. Grab the vmid of the virtual machine that is having issues

4. Run the command: /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmkload_app -k 9 <VM's vmid>

5. If the following is received then it was successful:

Warning: Apr 20 16:22:22.710: Sending signal '9' to world <VM's vmid>.

0 Kudos