VMware Cloud Community
wrekdoll
Contributor
Contributor

object reference not set to an instance of an object.

hi folks,

just ran clean install of esx3.0.2 to one of our ibm blades and all seemed to be fine until i looked at the routing and dns settings under configuration->software. all entrys are blank except for the default gateway - service console addy. so i think ok something went crazy during the install as i did give this info to the installer. so i click the properties button to edit these setting and get a VIClient unhandled exception stating "object reference not set to an instance of an object" the error contains the output at end of post. i also get a similar error when creating the VMKernel port that states i have no default gateway and asks if i would like to configure it now, i click yes and it throws the same unhandled exception at me. all the other hosts in the HA cluster behave normally, and as far as i can tell the host in question is functioning ok, the only difference i can see is the fact that all other hosts were upgrades from 3.0 to 3.0.2 where this is a fresh/clean install, host hardware is all identical.

anyone seen this before?

is easy enough to just reinstall, but if there is a known solution i prefer to just fix it. i looked through the known issues and searched the boards with no result.

any thoughts, appreciated

Thanks,

Randy

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

Exception Text **************

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at VpxClient.HostConfig.FormDNSConfig.RefreshForm()

at VpxClient.HostConfig.FormDNSConfig.Init(NetworkSystem networkSystem, DnsConfig dnsConfig, IpRouteConfig consoleRouteConfig, IpRouteConfig hostRouteConfig)

at VpxClient.HostConfig.DNSConfig.mPropertiesLinkButton_LinkClicked(Object sender, LinkLabelLinkClickedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.LinkLabel.OnLinkClicked(LinkLabelLinkClickedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.LinkLabel.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.LinkLabel.WndProc(Message& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0

Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2407

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll

-

vpxClient

Assembly Version: 2.0.1.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.1.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/apps/VIclient/vpxClient.exe

-

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2032

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll

-

VirtualInfrastructure

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/apps/VIclient/VirtualInfrastructure.DLL

-

Interop.VMDBCOMLib

Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 10.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/apps/VIclient/Interop.VMDBCOMLib.DLL

-

System

Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2407

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll

-

VMware.CustomControls

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/apps/VIclient/VMware.CustomControls.DLL

-

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll

-

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll

-

AxInterop.TomSawyer

Assembly Version: 5.5.0.0

Win32 Version: 5.5.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/apps/VIclient/AxInterop.TomSawyer.DLL

-

Interop.TomSawyer

Assembly Version: 5.5.0.0

Win32 Version: 5.5.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/apps/VIclient/Interop.TomSawyer.DLL

-

Accessibility

Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/accessibility/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/accessibility.dll

-

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

Install .NET 2.0, if I remember right the install says its not required but recommended. I'd just install it, see if the error goes away.

wrekdoll
Contributor
Contributor

i had 2.0 installed, so i thought i would try 3, unfortunately it gave exactly the same error.

thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
wrekdoll
Contributor
Contributor

could this be an issue with VC itself?

just noticed we are running VC 2.0.1 with the same VI client rev

0 Kudos