VMware Cloud Community
nevmnewbie
Contributor
Contributor

no available space

I'm very new to VMWare ESX server and ran into an issue when trying to execute a vm-support -n command to generate a configuration file for DELL. The configuration file wouldn't generate due to a "no available space error". Available space was listed as 0.

I cleared out the tmp folder but this only freed about 43M of space.

Any suggestions on what I can delete to get more free space? Here is what I see when running the df -h command now.

# df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sda2 3.3G 3.1G 43M 99% /

/dev/sda1 98M 31M 62M 34% /boot

none 132M 0 132M 0% /dev/shm

/dev/sda5 1005M 204M 750M 22% /var/log

0 Kudos
11 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Your root filesystem is full (which causes all sorts of bad things).

use du -shx /* to determine which folder is taking up a lot of space (look for core files, log files, etc).

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

You might have some vmkcore dump files, try looking at /root, usually they'll default there or in /tmp

Also, you do have a pretty small "/" partition, I forget the exact size recommended but you should have that around 6-8gb

0 Kudos
nevmnewbie
Contributor
Contributor

All staff originally responsible for configuring the VMWare ESX server left and we're looking into upgrading but for now, I need to try and cleanup what I can.

I'm a Windows person so I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this.

I ran the du -shx /* command to try and identify folders using the most space.

Here is the result:

4.1M /bin

27M /boot

416K /dev

21M /etc

164K /home

4.0K /initrd

43M /lib

16K /lost+found

8.0K /mnt

29M /opt

du: `/proc/5754/fd/4': No such file or directory

25K /proc

22M /root

6.7M /sbin

72K /tmp

1.2G /usr

1.8G /var

4.5T /vmfs

4.0K /vmimages

0 Kudos
nevmnewbie
Contributor
Contributor

4.1M /bin

27M /boot

416K /dev

21M /etc

164K /home

4.0K /initrd

43M /lib

16K /lost+found

8.0K /mnt

29M /opt

du: `/proc/5754/fd/4': No such file or directory

25K /proc

22M /root

6.7M /sbin

72K /tmp

1.2G /usr

1.8G /var

4.5T /vmfs

4.0K /vmimages

This is what I get when running that command.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

from your output I will bet it is what lamw indicated - core dump files in / -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
nevmnewbie
Contributor
Contributor

When trying to run the vm-support -n command to generate some information for DELL, it created a folder in /var/tmp that was eating up a huge amount of space and it could not complete because there was no available space. I cleaned up this folder and it game me over a GIG of space back.

Is there a way to generate the output of the vm-support command to a different location?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Not to my knowledge.You might see if there are extra logs files in /var you can delete.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Neither do I ... but "vm-support" is really just a long bash script, you should probably get VMware SR involved and they can probably direct you to either make a copy of the "vm-support" script and allow it to output to a filer or another location. Let them know you have no more additional space to run the support command and hopefully they have a solution for you

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

-w <output folder>, as I recall..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

-w <dir> sets the working directory used for the output files-w

If you go to an NFS share or filer, then you can set that as your working directory and hopefully it should output on external filer vs. the local filesystem.

0 Kudos
nevmnewbie
Contributor
Contributor

I cleaned out several log files from the Virtual Machines and a folder the vm-support command had created in var/tmp the first time I tried to run it and then tried the vm-support command again and it ran successfully.

I think the vm-support command was pulling all the log files and there wasn't enough space for everything before it built the final zip file.

Thanks everyone for giving me ideas to try.

0 Kudos