VMware Cloud Community
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

lost host connectivity

Hi,

one of the hosts we have has lost Service Console VC managment connectivity as the onboard NIC has failed. Unfortuanatly this was not teamed so the connectivity is now lost and there are VMs on this which can now not be Vmotioned off. I need to remove them so that the mobo can be replaced. I do however have another NIC which is connected to the same VLAN and is also used as management on the VM guests. If I link this physical NIC to the SC vSwitch by using the command

esxcfg-vswitch -L (pnic #) vswif0

will I then be able to manage the host through VC again and will it have much affect on the guest VMs. It will be a short term measure to allow me to Vmotion the VMs to another host.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

be warned though if it is already in use on another vswitch you will jave to unlink first form the vswitch it is connected to before you can add it you original vswitch -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes you will be able to manage your host again by connecting through the new NIC - it should have a minimal effect if any at all to your VM networks

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thanks for getting back to me I just wanted to check this. one other question will it be better to detach from the VMnetwork vswitch (esxcfg-vswitch -U) first or can I just add to the SC?

0 Kudos
jbsengineer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You should be able to link the new pnic fine without unlinking the original.

jbsengineer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cameron,

Also beware you syntax will be more like:

1. esxcfg-vswitch -L vmnic# vSwitch#

Not unlinking the previous pnic will add this new pnic as standby which should kick into active. If you are still not able to connect I would unlink the original pnic.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

be warned though if it is already in use on another vswitch you will jave to unlink first form the vswitch it is connected to before you can add it you original vswitch -

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thanks for all the help guys. Because the motherboard has failed can't get logged on through iLO, VC or locally console so will probably have to unregister/ register etc.

0 Kudos
jbsengineer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the VM's are still running though? Can you SSH into the ESX server?

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

no the keyboard is locked on the console both locally and when I try to Putty on.

0 Kudos