VMware Cloud Community
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

licensing in mixed 3.0 - 3.5

In the lab so, not critical. I upgraded one host to 3.5 U1. The other is still 3.0.2. I can power on a VM on the 3.5 host, but on the 3.0.2 host I get not enough licenses. Is this expected?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry I meant to say is this...

Well if it was host based and the license file went out the window, that might be it. If it is controlled by VC, make sure you stop/start/reread your licenses to make sure you have an accurate count. Double check that the license files are in your VC directory also.

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please award points.

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you doublecheck on that upgraded host and see that you are in the proper licensing (single-host, centralized)?

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello

3.0 and 3.5 licences are the same so this in not a concern... You may have a look on your licence server or Virtual Center Admin tab the find how your licences as been distributed. I think that your issue is related with the licences service configuration

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it sounds more like a licensing issue, rather than part of the upgrade. How are the hosts licened, host based or through VC?

Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry I meant to say is this...

Well if it was host based and the license file went out the window, that might be it. If it is controlled by VC, make sure you stop/start/reread your licenses to make sure you have an accurate count. Double check that the license files are in your VC directory also.

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please award points.

0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I meant to give jfr the Correct points and Helpfuls to you other guys, but messed it up. Oh well, sorry.

The upgraded host was properly licensed. The un-upgraded host, I had to go to Admin-Lic and do the edit license thing to change from Unlicensed. Would have expected that to work the other way around. Anyway, thanks guys.

0 Kudos
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can a moderator please correct the points given or is that not possible?

0 Kudos
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I misread the post too. I thought you were having issues with the upgraded one. Thats what happens when you are trying to do Windows updates and this at the same time. :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's ok... don't care for the point

I'm happy to see your problem solve

Jeff

0 Kudos
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What a guy. I could kiss you but I dont think the moderators would let me. :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos