VMware Cloud Community
Eddnow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

installing lsi megaraid sas 8300xlp controller on esx 3.02

Hello,

I'm a ict teacher from Belgium, newbi in esx server.

How can install esx server with lsi megaraid sas 8300xlp controller?

Is there someone that can help??

I have the esx 3.02 image from vmware on a asus rackserver SAS RS162-E4 RX4 with extra card sas 8300xlp

thanks

ps we have not budget at school to buy a new server

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
devzero
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

no - he isn`t lost.

he just needs some linux knowledge and some deeper insight into what hardware linux drivers support.

it´s a shame, but the vmware lsilogic driver works with 8300xlp, but vmware doesn`t make use of it.

since many (most?) esx drivers are derived (borrowed? stolen? Smiley Wink from linux drivers, esx could probably support much more hardware out of the box.

maybe the problem is certification: what hasn`t been tested and certified is not on the hcl, and then vmware will probably not touch that hardware at all because it`s not on their internal "whitelist".

anyway - take a look at http://communities.vmware.com/message/695520#695520

esx on 8300xlp running fine for a couple of months now.

maybe the idea of jason perlow at is not too bad - otherwise i really assume vmware is that "dead duck in 2011" ( http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2216435,00.asp )

vmware - are you listening?

could you please certify 8300xlp controller?

your customers want to install esx on the hardware they have. the don`t want to buy extra hardware for that, especially if vmware esx already has the appropriate drivers builtin !

regards

Roland

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If ESX doesn't recognize the controller you're lost.

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

no - he isn`t lost.

he just needs some linux knowledge and some deeper insight into what hardware linux drivers support.

it´s a shame, but the vmware lsilogic driver works with 8300xlp, but vmware doesn`t make use of it.

since many (most?) esx drivers are derived (borrowed? stolen? Smiley Wink from linux drivers, esx could probably support much more hardware out of the box.

maybe the problem is certification: what hasn`t been tested and certified is not on the hcl, and then vmware will probably not touch that hardware at all because it`s not on their internal "whitelist".

anyway - take a look at http://communities.vmware.com/message/695520#695520

esx on 8300xlp running fine for a couple of months now.

maybe the idea of jason perlow at is not too bad - otherwise i really assume vmware is that "dead duck in 2011" ( http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2216435,00.asp )

vmware - are you listening?

could you please certify 8300xlp controller?

your customers want to install esx on the hardware they have. the don`t want to buy extra hardware for that, especially if vmware esx already has the appropriate drivers builtin !

regards

Roland

0 Kudos
ermeier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to install ESX on 8300XLP RAID using the solution proposed below.

Now I am wondering how big my risks are when I'm using this non-supported configuration in a productive environment:

What are your experiences? An mysterious problems? Performance issues? Support exclusions because of unsupported HW?

Would you run such a configuration in production if alternative is a slow SW-RAID?

Devzero: I really would appreciate your experiences!

Thanks, Erich

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i don`t run that system myself, but i didn`t hear of any issues or performance problems since installation.

you should ask vmware directly - this will attract attention.

0 Kudos
Eddnow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello,

how i install step by step lsi megaraid sas 8300xlp controller on esx 3.5 update

i have no luck to do working esx always crash after installation.

can someone help me??

thanks

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

you should ask vmware directly - even if they reply "no, it`s not supported" - at least this will attract attention.

0 Kudos
Eddnow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello, thanks.

I think that the problem is not anymore the scsii controler but the nics there ara

Intel® 82563EB Network Connection (Dual-Port) are this supported? or what can i do ?

how can i put the logfile on usb stick?

thanks a lot

Eddy

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What do you see when you run lspci at the console - specifically what PCI id do the NICs show?

0 Kudos
Eddnow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello

thanks for reaction

i' a dumie in esx

i send you the log, hope you can do with it

thanks a lot!

0 Kudos