VMware Cloud Community
stozka
Contributor
Contributor

ibm 346 and compaq msa 1000 (now hp msa 500)

Don't know how to use MSA 500 attached to external SCSI of buit-in controller adaptec 7902-w. It's sees attached MSA as compaq smart array but no size for prepared raid-5 array of 600 GB.

thanks, I'll provide more info as needed

0 Kudos
10 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you rescan SAN?

esxcfg-rescan

0 Kudos
stozka
Contributor
Contributor

i did it several times, with VI console. with several restarts of esx server and msa of course.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you have a switch or is it direct attached?

You must present the LUNs to the HOSTS, that is configure switch or SAN ports.

0 Kudos
stozka
Contributor
Contributor

it's direct attached with SCSI

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What do you see under /vmfs/volumes/xxxxxxxxxxxxx ?

What can you do under VI client Configuration -> Storage ??

Try view or modify LUN properties.

0 Kudos
stozka
Contributor
Contributor

i can't tell you directly, server is gone for 14 days, but when it will be delivered back someone (my b....) will again start annoying me with this thing,

whole point is that I've dl380 which works perfectly with this msa500 and this ibm 346, i just want to make enterprise solution out of this, vmotion will probably not work because of different CPU levels but other things should ..

ok, to answer your question, i see same thing as under BIOS, some device with no volume information, size information etc ...

I firmly believe that another hardware component, some controller is needed to connect this ibm with msa500 properly but i've no idea which, or maybe i'm just wrong

thanks, hope you or someone has some suggestions for me

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've had a MSA1000 on a project some time ago.

I remember that some kind of fiber terminators were needed on SAN or switch.

And you must access san by Hyperterminal (serial port) to configure ports as linux hosts.

Look at:

http://kb.vmware.com/vmtnkb/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1249&sliceId=SAL_Public&di...

and at:

http://kb.vmware.com/vmtnkb/searchEntry.do?languages=&rwTarget=%2FrfPlayerWidget.do&searchMode=Guide...

You can find useful info at:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-7118ENW.pdf

0 Kudos
stozka
Contributor
Contributor

i've no problem connectin' hp server to msa500. It's already connected and running one host (with SCSI cable). Another host will be ibm 346. I also need to connect this server to MSA500 and use it as additional esx host in enterprise configuration.

thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
affoliveira
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To solve your problem you actually need one HP smart controller.

In yor DL the msa500 works fine because you have it connected to the dl smart controller!!

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storage/disk_storage/msa_diskarrays/SACSQualifications.pdf

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check for controller & bios and hba udpates.

0 Kudos