VMware Cloud Community
Scott-P
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iSCSI SAN, two hosts - how to move VMs?

The is a new implementation. I have ESX 3.5 standard and both hosts access the shared storage on the SAN. Somehow I need to remove the VM from inventory of one host and add it to the other. But I don't see the option anywhere. I only have the Inventory button.

Where I was before we had vCenter but not here. Is this the reason? I don't need to do vmotion, just cold migrations.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You need to power down the Virtual Machine, if you right click the virtual machine you should see the option at the bottom near delete from disk. On the host you want to move it from, if you look at the host summary screen (click on the host) and then double click on the LUN of the shared storage. This should bring up a listing of all the folders in that LUN, including NameOfVM which you can open up the folder of that VM and right click on the .VMX file and select add to inventory.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm assuming you are connecting directly to the host ESX server?

If you don't have virtual center you don't have the option to migrate machines back and forth. If you want to do this without VC, you'll need to a command line move of the folder/files or use a program like winSCP/fastSCP

• Kyle

0 Kudos
Scott-P
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, connecting directly to ESX host with VI client.

I'd be ok with moving files, but what files need to be moved? They are on shared storage.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have shared storage, you can still do this while connecting to the individual hosts. Connect to one host, power off the VM, then right click on the VM and choose remove from inventory. Then connect to the other host, browse the datastore, find the VM's folder name, then .vmx file and choose "add to inventory" and follow the prompts.

khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If the same storage is seen on both ESX hosts, then all you need to do is right click it, remove from inventory (DO NOT DELETE FROM DISK) and then login to the other ESX host and add it to the inventory on that host.

• Kyle

0 Kudos
Scott-P
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, I must be missing something, though. That option is not there. There is no "add to inventory" "remove from inventory" or anything else. If I had this option all would be well. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Scott-P
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

See reply to Troy, I'm not seeing the "remove from inventory" option.

0 Kudos
Scott-P
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Correction - I DO see "remove from inventory" and can select that. I just don't see a way to add it on the new host.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You need to power down the Virtual Machine, if you right click the virtual machine you should see the option at the bottom near delete from disk. On the host you want to move it from, if you look at the host summary screen (click on the host) and then double click on the LUN of the shared storage. This should bring up a listing of all the folders in that LUN, including NameOfVM which you can open up the folder of that VM and right click on the .VMX file and select add to inventory.

• Kyle

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

from the host you are moving to you will need to use the datastore browser - right click on the shared storage and one of the options will be browse datastore browse to where the vm is stored and right click on the ,vmx file and you should have an option yo Add to Inventory -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Scott-P
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yowsa! That's it! Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nice!! Resolved!

0 Kudos
Scott-P
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! Very helpful. I appreciate your time and help.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

don't forget you have two "helpfuls" left... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Scott-P
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, you answered it correctly first upon my second reading. My apologies.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

now worries!! Thanks for the helpful. I'm just trying to beat Kyle and David for the top 5 posters of the week! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Scott-P
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My experience with these boards in the past have always been remarkable.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

now worries!! Thanks for the helpful. I'm just trying to beat Kyle and David for the top 5 posters of the week! Smiley Happy

Sorry Troy, you're not going to beat me after the past couple days I've had Smiley Wink

• Kyle

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

See Kyle - I have to respond now too! :smileycool:

0 Kudos