VMware Cloud Community
vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how to expand vmdk disk to larger size

anyone know how to extend larger size for vmdk file in esx 3.5 thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well, you can do it in several ways but depends which drives you want to expand. It is harder to expand the system drive and my suggestion is use VMware Converter tool and clone the drive to size it larger or use third party disk imaging tools Ghost, Altiris, Knoppix Live CD or even use vmkfstools -X 20GB /vmfs/path/vmname.vmdk command to extend it.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well, you can do it in several ways but depends which drives you want to expand. It is harder to expand the system drive and my suggestion is use VMware Converter tool and clone the drive to size it larger or use third party disk imaging tools Ghost, Altiris, Knoppix Live CD or even use vmkfstools -X 20GB /vmfs/path/vmname.vmdk command to extend it.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In ESX 3.5 U2 you can do this WHILE the VM is still running.. edit the settings for the VM, click on the hard disk, give it the size you want.

Then if you can resize the partition of the disk in Windows or Linux live, you don't have to shut down the VM.

vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

my esx host is at 3.5.0 build 98103 is that good for it. i have update manager can i use it to ugrade esx 3.5 u2 or have to use upgrade package from vmware.com/download. if this is not support and hard to upgrade 3.5 u2 than i will try converter logically its easier and quicker. how do i expand the disk size in windows server using any tools by chance.

thank you for your response parker and stefan.

0 Kudos
powerzhu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I come across this article

It is very clear how to expand vmdk disk and partition.

Go,go,go
0 Kudos