VMware Cloud Community
Sashi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

help help.. ESX host shows as NOT RESPONDING

Hi,

I have ESX host , which says state says " NOT RESPONDING" in virtual center status but the host is pingable and i'm able to connect to the console using putty... Can anyone help me what could be the problem for showing the status as NOT RESPONDING... I do not see any correct error logs in Events and logs.. The VM which is hosted on the ESX host is also working fine and im able to RDP to it with out any issues but in VM it shows as disconnected...

REQUEST YOU TO HELP ME QUICKLY AS THIS IS IN PRODUCTION...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Shashi,

If the ESX host is not responding in VC check if you can connect to the ESX host through VI Client, if yes then the hostd service is working fine and you would have to troubleshoot the virtual center service agent on the esx host. You many consider restarting them first using command # service vmware-vpxa restart

If you are unable to connect to the ESX host using VI Client, restart the hostd service using # service mgmt-vmware restart and check the logs # tail -f /var/log/vmware/hostd.log check for any errors/progress.

Also search at kb.vmware.com for this issue and you would find few articles which would help you troubleshoot.

All the best Smiley Happy

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Shashi,

If the ESX host is not responding in VC check if you can connect to the ESX host through VI Client, if yes then the hostd service is working fine and you would have to troubleshoot the virtual center service agent on the esx host. You many consider restarting them first using command # service vmware-vpxa restart

If you are unable to connect to the ESX host using VI Client, restart the hostd service using # service mgmt-vmware restart and check the logs # tail -f /var/log/vmware/hostd.log check for any errors/progress.

Also search at kb.vmware.com for this issue and you would find few articles which would help you troubleshoot.

All the best Smiley Happy

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos