VMware Cloud Community
daat
Contributor
Contributor

hba's can't find target luns because of NPIV?

hi community!

i've got a problem, which i'm not able to resolve... i'm counting on your help before opening a call:

problem: my new esx3.5 box is connected to the fabric like my old boxes (3.0.0 and 3.01), but it can't find any luns.

short question: how to disable NPIV which for me seems to be the problem

long story:

what's for sure: the cabling is ok, zoning is ok, binding is ok

what i found out so far:

when starting a rescan (either with VC or esxcfg-rescan) i found the following in /var/log/vmkernel

vmkernel: 3:22:50:22.866 cpu2:1035)SCSI: 861: GetInfo for adapter vmhba2, , max_vports=-1, vports_inuse=-1, linktype=0, state=0, failreason=5[/b], rv=0, sts=0[/i]

here in the community i found a good article about this problem, suggesting a firmware-update on my hp branded emulex adapters (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/93229?tstart=0&start=0)

but updating the firmware didn't reall help me. the error just changed to:

vmkernel: 0:01:21:27.413 cpu3:1036)SCSI: 861: GetInfo for adapter vmhba2, , max_vports=7, vports_inuse=0, linktype=0, state=0, failreason=2[/b], rv=0, sts=0[/i]

according to http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35_25_npiv_config.pdf that indicates that the fabric switch is not capable of NPIV

my fabric-switch (cisco mds 9124) has NPIV disabled, thats true

but why does that prevent me from seeing any luns?

i don't need NPIV yet, but i need to get my box productive...

didn't find anything about how to 'disable' NPIV in any vm-document, or preventing esx trying to use it (even under the advanced settings i didn't find anything)

any help?

thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daat
Contributor
Contributor

hi all!

problem has been solved

NPIV was not the problem, a severe switch config problem was the cause for the troubles...

but thanks for looking

0 Kudos
klich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm seeing a similar issue. Would you mind sharing what the configuration issue was on the switch config? Also was this with an Emulex or Qlogic HBA?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
klich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oops, I see you already detailed HP branded Emulex above. Which model? We're seeing this with LP9002's.

0 Kudos
straightway
Contributor
Contributor

Hi rob,

klich already asked, if you would mind to share your solution to this Problem.

now i am asking :smileygrin: because i'm faced with a similar Problem.

In my Environmet 2 of 4 ESX Hosts can see 2 new targets i've added on 1of 2 HBAs on each ESX Host.:(

the other two Host don't see these target on neither HBA1 nor HBA2... :_|

Zoning looks good for all connections as you already mentioned in your post,

so it would be great to hear what your solution was

Regards Stefan

0 Kudos
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I have the same problem, and we already updated the hba driver and still can't see the targets.

Host don't see these target on neither HBA1 nor HBA2...

Please help!!

Celia.-
0 Kudos