VMware Cloud Community
sudar
Contributor
Contributor

hangs when installing

hwne installing VmWare it just hangs the installations and searching for VmWare ESX server installations....and nothing happens after that .

does anyone have suggestions on this one.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi there, which version of ESX are you installing? If you're not tied to a specific version I would suggest downloading the latest (3.5) and trying with that. Also what hardware are you using for the server and storage controller? Any SAN connections? Is this a fresh install or upgrade?

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert

Hi to all,

have you check if your HW is in HCL? ... and firmware?

bye Alberto

0 Kudos
sudar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, i am trying to install on dell power edge 1950 series blade servers.

Sure i will look in to that

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

More often than not, you do NOT want anaconda/kickstart to see any disks that should not be candidates for ESX OS load. This includes disconnecting HBAs and local DASD that will not host the OS footprint. Anaconda does a horrible job of ignoring things it can not resolve, for example if a given LUN or disk partition has an odd geometry issue or is not partitions cleanly (for example if once had NTFS on it), anaconda can get confused and do odd things.

dreamgear
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem. I am using a freshly downloaded 3.5 disk. The disk test passed, and the system components (IBM eserver xseries 226, serveraid 6i, one mirrored disk 140GB u320) are all on the HCL. The system had Centos3 on it before, I'm trying to install over it.

0 Kudos
dreamgear
Contributor
Contributor

I just re-read the HCL and now the 226 is not supported. So let me get this straight: You deliberately scuttled my hardware investment? Please make this clear.

0 Kudos
dreamgear
Contributor
Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
radman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Removing extra disks solved my problem also - thanks for the great tip!

0 Kudos