VMware Cloud Community
hansis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

expand disk

Hello!

I want to expand my system disk from a virtual machine.

esx: 3.0.1

vc: 2.5.0

in VC their would be the option new filesize. But this doesn't work.

Is their an other option without the vmktools?

thx

hansis

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you go into the Service Console via ssh and browse to the folder containing your VMDK, you can simply type the command:

"vmkfstools -X newsize vmdkfilename"

So if I wanted to extend my server25 disk to 50 gigs, I would type:

vmkfstools -X 50G server25.vmdk

You then need to use some software or function of the OS to extend your partition. I use a tool from Acronis to do it, but there are plenty available.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What does it read ine the "New file Size"? Is it what you set it for when you increased it? If so, are you just not seeing it in in the guest OS, I am assuming windows cause you didn't indicate, if it's windows, you need a third party app to stretch your partition to encumpass the entire new disk size. Acronis comes to mind.

0 Kudos
hansis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello

thx for answer.

I have set the new disksize in the setting of the vc. After completing the job I go in the settings again. But at the field new discsize I see the old value.

I think it isn't possible to do this with vc.

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Remove all snapshots first if you have any. Also, try powering down the vm when you change the disk size.

taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you go into the Service Console via ssh and browse to the folder containing your VMDK, you can simply type the command:

"vmkfstools -X newsize vmdkfilename"

So if I wanted to extend my server25 disk to 50 gigs, I would type:

vmkfstools -X 50G server25.vmdk

You then need to use some software or function of the OS to extend your partition. I use a tool from Acronis to do it, but there are plenty available.

0 Kudos
hansis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

many thanks!

I tried it with the console. Now I have a bigger disk.

hansi

0 Kudos